[HacktionLab] HHVM vs PHP-FPM (was Re: Server efficiency slides)

Charlie Harvey charlie at newint.org
Mon Nov 16 10:00:22 UTC 2015

Hi,

Thinking about this at work at the moment.

We're considering waiting for php7 for our drupal project. Partly
because HHVM doesn't include the postgres extension (and the one that
does exist is missing various functions cf:
https://github.com/PocketRent/hhvm-pgsql).

One of the php7 project aims is for it to be at least comparable with
HHVM on speed . It is currently on rc6 or 7, so might be out in the
first half of 2016.

Cheers,

On 15/11/15 12:17, Marcus Valentine wrote:
> Following up on Daniel's and Ben's thought-provoking talk at Barncamp
> on this Summer, I've been experimenting with a server build intended
> to serve PHP stuff* (specifically wordpress) more effectively.
>
> My build is
>
> Debian GNU/Linux 8.2 (jessie)
> nginx version: nginx/1.6.2
> HipHop VM 3.10.1 (rel)
> MariaDB Server version: 10.0.22-MariaDB-0+deb8u1 (Debian)
>
> This build plays nicely with current wordpress (4.3.1).
>
> The test VM has 4GB of RAM and uses 2 CPU (from a total of 6) from a
> AMD Phenom II X4 20 Processor
>
> Running the apache stress test on a minimal wordpress front page
>
>  ab -c 50 -n 1000 http://mytestsite.local
>
> I get
>
> Requests per second:    84.66 [#/sec] (mean)
>
> For comparison, on my production server, (16 GB RAM, AMD Phenom II X6
> 1055T Processor), running a conventional LAMP stack. I get
>
> Requests per second:    8.58 [#/sec] (mean)
>
> So far so good. Moving onto other php stuff, phpmyadmin works fine.
>
> Unfortunately Roundcubemail doesn't work:
>
> https://github.com/facebook/hhvm/issues/5185
>
> Nor does Owncloud
>
> https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/10837
>
> It seems roundcube and owncloud _will_ play nicely with php-fpm. So my
> options include running php-fpm in parallel with HHVM, or abandoning
> HHVM and just going with php-fpm.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Safe
>
> Marcus
>

> * Struggling for the correct word
>
> On 06/07/2015 17:38, daniel wrote:
>> Hey guys, Here are the slides and lecture notes from the talk on
>> server efficiency and optimization. I am soooooooooooooooooo sorry
>> it took so long to get them sent off. Been super busy. I'd put it
>> on the wiki but I'm having a brain freeze and can't figure out how
>> to register a new account. Please do let me know if you guys have
>> any further thoughts, comments, questions, or corrections about any
>>  of the stuff on here. I think that we and the rest of the team at
>> Noflag had a fantastic time and we're looking forward to the next
>> one. Let's keep in touch about the possibility of having the Winter
>> Gathering in Scotland this time, eh! All the best, Daniel
>
>> http://noflag.org.uk/server-efficiency.pdf
>> https://noflag.org.uk/noflag-server.odp

Charlie Harvey
IT Director
New Internationalist

t: +44 (0)1865 403249
f: +44 (0)1865 403346
w: http://newint.org/
k: http://ox4.li/gpgkey/

New Internationalist is an independent not-for-profit communications
cooperative. Our multi-award winning magazine, New Internationalist,
brings to life the people, the ideas and the action in the fight for
global justice.

New Internationalist Publications Ltd. is incorporated in England
under no.1005239.

New Internationalist, Old Music Hall, 106-108 Cowley Rd.,
Oxford, OX4 1JE, UK