[HacktionLab] Activist friendly web/tech services

naomi naomi at aktivix.org
Thu Oct 13 11:08:34 UTC 2016

Hi,

For Wordpress there is Network 23 or Webarchitects. I don't know about
activist-friendly Drupal hosting though. You could automate Drupal core
and module updates, which would give some security confidence. But
someone would probably need to have a bit of oversight. Also the OS of
the server would need updating regularly, although this could possibly
also be automated.

Ensuring that the system is set up in a secure way and staying abreast
of security issues is probably always going to require a human. Again
with backups, these can be automated but need checking every so on.

I've been supporting a Drupal system for a activist/charity group for
years and the work involved in staying updated, backed up and secure is
really minimal (although we could do with a security checkup by someone
who knows more than I do). Almost all my time is spent fiddling about
with CiviCRM, which you should avoid at all costs.

Naomi