[HacktionLab] Tech Tactics for Social Change: HacktionLab Oxford 21 & 22 October 2017

Mike Harris mike.harris at xtreamlab.net
Sat Aug 26 22:40:03 UTC 2017

Dear all,

I'm pleased to announce, on behalf of the Oxford HactionLab posse, the
next HacktionLab event.

It's in October - the 21st and 22nd - and we're collaborating with the
Oxford Hackspace and holding it there.

After discussion this end we decided to focus the days on themes rather
than the usual tools and tech topics.  The themes we're proposing are:

* refugees, people, and displacement
* homelessness
* the environment
* gender (and tech)
* avoiding burn-out (personal sustainability)

We're planning a programme, and are thinking that it will be
pre-programmed sessions this time, a departure from our usual
unconference approach.  We're putting call outs to local groups working
in the various areas covered by the themes to get involved, come, and
present.   There's nothing set in stone at the moment, but the programme
slots are thus:

https://hacktionlab.org/Tech_Tactics_for_Social_Change_Oxford_2017_-_Programme

The objectives of the weekend are:

* outreach of HacktionLab to other groups and vice-versa
* spreading awareness of issues, experiences projects, individuals and
groups
* find out what we are doing with tech, what we are not doing, how it
hinders, how it helps
* have fun, find out new things and meet new people

We've put up a new web site for it:

https://techtacticsforsocialchange.uk

Do take a look and let us know what you think, and also let us know via
the list, or off list, if you've anything you'd like to do as a
discussion, debate, talk, or workshop.  If you've got experiences that
especially link tech and one of the themes above, simply experiences in
one of the themes, or some tech thing to talk about, let us know.

Also if you can think of somebody or an organisation that you think
should be involved, please forward the details to them, talk to them
about it, tell them to get in touch.

I know it's a little different from most of our previous gatherings, but
we thought something different might be good, a different take on it.
We wanted to do something with Tech Tools for Activism but move it
forward a bit, focussing less on the tools and more on the issues and
tactics.

Hope you like it and to see you there in October.  There's a few of us
in Oxford with crash spaces, so we'll be able to put HacktionLabbers up.

Mike Harris . XtreamLab
w: https://xtreamlab.net
e: mike.harris at xtreamlab.net
t: 07811 671 893