[HacktionLab] {Spam?} Community Tech isn't Dead! (it is just a bit zombified)

Mick mickfuzz at clearerchannel.org
Thu Feb 23 11:44:54 UTC 2017

https://medium.com/@kimadactl/cf6f3d51ad13#.nboinv1eq

  Tech culture is failing communities. How can we make it better?

    Californian design principles have taken over the internet, turning
    people into products. We need a roadmap towards truly
    community-owned technology.

The shift in internet and technology culture over the last decade has
been phenomenal. Most of the services we use today haven’t been around
long at all — Facebook is thirteen years old, Twitter ten, and Instagram
six. The first iPhone — and arguably with it the modern concept of an
“app” — was released in 2007. And yet despite all this technology that’s
supposed to bring us together,social isolation is a major player in the
current epidemic of depression, loneliness, eating disorders, suicide
<https://medium.com/r/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fcommentisfree%2F2016%2Foct%2F12%2Fneoliberalism-creating-loneliness-wrenching-society-apart>,
and other social problems. How has this happened?

With these new technologies has come a rapid shift in the culture and
industry which builds, markets, and owns them. Broadly, this has seen
Californian men working alone in their bedrooms suddenly get pushed to
global fame, propelled by a seemingly endless supply of speculative
venture capital funds, themselves also overwhelmingly run by enormously
wealthy white men. While we currently find ourselves in many other
spheres challenging overly white, rich and male political structures, it
feels like there has not been similar mainstream political critique of
the ownership of our new, virtual, civic spaces.

TheLean Startup
<https://medium.com/r/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FLean_startup>model
has sparked a trend towards functionally limited but highly profitable
software: doing “just enough” to justify a purchase point or app
install. The hype around apps has meant that every new technology
product is required to follow the same Californian design
principles:vertically integrated
<https://medium.com/r/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FVertical_integration>,
extremely expensive to produce, for the most part free at point of use,
highly branded, with all data stored in the cloud and owned by the
company. I’ve found it difficult explaining to clients looking to do
something new that there are other ways to do things, or that an app is
one solution of many,especially when solving social problems
<https://medium.com/r/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fopenmigration.org%2Fen%2Fop-ed%2Fhackathon-and-refugees-we-can-do-better%2F>.
Honestly, I still don’t quite understand what an “app” is when someone
asks me for one — the concept seems wrapped up in a concept of a kind of
experience that you’re expected to have with it. But I digress.

A decade ago, technically-savvy activists like me thought news sites
likeIndymedia
<https://medium.com/r/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.indymedia.org.uk%2F>were
the future. We thought that aggregation with RSS was the eventual
endgame for a decentralised, community-owned internet. We were talking
about makingcooperatively owned mesh wifi networks
<https://medium.com/r/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fopenwrt.org%2F>to provide free
wifi for everyone, the obvious and inevitable move towards everyone
using Ubuntu (or other Linux flavours), and building thin-client
networks from recycled computers in community cafes to provide free
internet and computer access. And now we’re talking about commercial
apps, corporate social media, andMechanical Turk
<https://medium.com/r/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mturk.com%2Fmturk%2Fwelcome>.
Any mention of communities and working with people seems to have
vanished, in favour of an almost pathological focus on software and
software culture itself. Something went wrong.

I’m developing a sort of manifesto to try and combat this, and get back
to this kinder, community-oriented tech culture I remember from my
twenties. I’m calling it a Community Technology Partnership, or CTP.
Starting to write about this, I’ve discovered that the rabbit hole is a
lot deeper than I thought. As a result, I’m going to syndicate the
process of writing it up so I can get feedback and generate discussion
along the way.

What follows is a list of overall values for a CTP manifesto. It was
pointed out to me an event onpost-fact politics
<https://medium.com/r/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.postfactpolitics.com%2F>at
the weekend that the former concepts are all human; the latter ones all
inhuman or robotic and part of that Californian design methodology that
I critiqued at the start of this article. So maybe it really does all
start on this basic, structural level. Following this will be more on
the methodological principles, the overall aims and objectives, and
information about two pilots I’m working on to develop the concept.

      Complete > Perfect

/Embrace messy data./

Programming is forgetting
<https://medium.com/r/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fopentranscripts.org%2Ftranscript%2Fprogramming-forgetting-new-hacker-ethic%2F>./All/computer
systems — from Facebook to Word — throw anything away they don’t
understand. You can’t create a Facebook event and set the date later.
You can’t do a painting in Word. More subtly, what a piece of
information looks like is based on a designer’s desires: the concept of
“a conversation” is different and incompatible between email, Facebook
and Google Groups, for example. It simply doesn’t make sense to try and
synchronise all those things; they are fundamentally incompatible.

Some of these systems are more prescriptive than others. Taking the
Facebook event as an example, there’s a surprising amount of
prerequisites. Not only you already have a Facebook account and friends
on it (to make it worthwhile), you have to know the date and time,
location and title before being able to create it. A scan of a flyer
simply won’t do, for example.

Clearly, real-life is not like this. Community information is huge, and
varied, and a tiny fraction of it ends up online in an organised way.
Messy knowledge ends up being word of mouth, and reaches very few
people. Some examples of this might be:

  * You can book a free room in a community campus building (if you know
    who to talk to)
  * There is an underused computer suite in a local housing estate
  * The local library runs free computer classes
  * The community garden centre is looking for new directors
  * A new planning application that would affect the area

Yes, you might find these things out via a chance post on social media,
if you use it. But we do not have even the mechanisms to store these
things and present them to the community in an accessible way. Corporate
apps work fine for solved problems for engaged users; they do not work
well to enable community resilience. A CTP aims to collect knowledge
first, and worry about what to do with it later. Our systems should not
be deciding what the important information is: we should.

Let’s build systems that have the lowest possible bar to entry, find out
what we don’t know, and develop new ways to record community knowledge.

      Communication > Code

/We should be flexible and holistic in what we do with information./

If what matters is people getting access to accurate, useful, timely
information, then we can say that communication is the goal, not code.
In the tech sector we talk a lot about what platform or framework is
being used, and very little about what is being communicated. I’ve been
to countless tech presentations where the talk has been entirely on the
structure of the app, and not a word about the people who are using it
and how it’s changed things socially. By focussing on communications as
a holistic problem, we can see the internet as one tool of many to
facilitate information sharing.

For example, we could automate things like aggregated posters and
brochures of local events, enable people to work together to distribute
flyers, or create interactive displays of current planning applications.
We should not see the technology as the goal in itself, but creating
informed and engaged local citizens who are able to get what they want
from their neighbourhood.

The596 Acres
<https://medium.com/r/?url=http%3A%2F%2F596acres.org%2F>project is a
particularly good example of this. In their own words:

    /The seeds of 596 Acres were planted when founder Paula Z. Segal
    obtained a spreadsheet of all the publicly owned vacant land in
    Brooklyn and created a map of it to distribute. This map was the
    first tool designed to let people know about the unharnessed
    potential hidden in plain sight throughout the city’s neighborhoods.
    It appeared on a poster highlighting vacant public land in Brooklyn,
    and as an interactive tool on our website. Getting the word out — in
    print and online — has been at the heart of the project ever since./

I went to a fantastic presentation on this project where this point was
emphasised. The website and open data provided the impetus and structure
to get the project rolling, and it couldn’t have happened without it.
But it was going to every plot of land and zip-tying the contact details
to it, answering the phone, and talking to people that made the project
a success.

Let’s focus on making sure people get the information they need in a way
that suits them, and stop seeing the internet as an end in itself.

      Distributed > Centralised

/Facilitate people using the technology that they want, rather than
imposing new systems./

Just as the corporate internet is designed to be perfect, it’s also
centralised. Many interventions attempt to introduce a new platform, and
worry about how to make people use it later. A CTP sees this as
completely the wrong way around. We should be enabling people to use
existing technology, mapping out what is in use, and providing training
to enable people to make incremental improvements. The internet works
because it is/distributed/not/centralised/ — the current top-down order
of sites like Facebook almost entirely being a product of massive
capitalist investment. We need to start owning our own information again.

This means that we want to help organisations improve their data
offering. For example, many community centres have no centralised list
of all the services they provide — something we started work on in
theStreetSupport project
<https://medium.com/r/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstreetsupport.net%2F>. Very few
have their event data in a structured format that allows it to be read
by others. Maybe, at a later date, the need will emerge for a
centralised platform — but these platforms should not be zero-sum, and
should leave behind the education and principles for organisations to
understand what is needed for others to be able to use their data.

By owning our own information and publishing it in a structured way, we
can open the door to a new generation of co-operative web services.

      People > Computers

/Focus on improving people’s skills, not on any given technology./

Fundamentally, computers are not that interesting (at least to me). The
internet can be thought of as a giant mechanism for handing around
Post-It notes — the interest is in what is on them and who they are
being passed between, not the notes themselves. Technology professionals
have so neglected human needs that now an entire sub-industry has had to
be created with job titles like “human centred design”, “user interface
design”, and “usability designer”. In my experience, talks at technical
events almost never feature feedback from people who use the platform,
focussing instead on technical minutiae andevidence-less theorising
<https://medium.com/r/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fgfsc.network%2F2016%2F10%2F10%2Fno-false-users.html>.
The industry’s current focus is on gettingtoasters and toothbrushes
online
<https://medium.com/r/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Finternetofshit> — apparently
more interesting goals than getting poor people, old people, or people
with learning difficulties online.

A CTP prioritises people’s needs directly. The goals are education,
cooperation, and building community strength. The technologies we use to
do this should reflect community needs. The digital divide is growing
again, andevidence suggests
<https://medium.com/r/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fjournals.sagepub.com%2Fdoi%2Fabs%2F10.1177%2F1461444813487959>that
as time goes on internet use will come to simply reflect existing social
divides.

Existing social media platforms are designed to try
and/replace/real-life interactions with online ones, so they can be
analysed and used for marketing. Services from Amazon Prime to Uber
attempt to simply remove them altogether.

We should build internet services to enable and facilitate real-life
interactions, and in doing so work towards reducing the social isolation
epidemic.

      Locality-based > Interest-based

/Focus on communities of location, not communities of interest./

Your postcode at birth is still the single biggest guide to your life’s
chances: from employment opportunities to life expectancy. However, the
communities we tend to make online — be they for work are leisure — are
even/more/selective than those based on our location. In order to
redress some balance, we must urgently turn our attention to our own
neighbourhoods.

Almost any night of the week in Manchester you can go to a tech event in
a fancy Northern Quarter office with free pizza and beer; it’s so common
it’s barely remarked upon. On some level, why would you go anywhere
else? Of course, from a community activist perspective it’s hilarious to
even think that a company would consider sponsoring your meeting of a
group working against austerity, racism or sexism with free pizza and
beer. And yet the demographics between these two sorts of meeting could
not be more stark. The last tech event like this I went to was about
30:1 men:women by by estimation, almost all I would guess age 20–40.
Most community meetings on the other hand are a much more diverse mix of
people: age, race, gender and other issues much more in balance.

I’m not blaming anyone for this state of affairs — I’m grateful for free
food and beer, a good talk and a warm office too. My point is more that
we need to redress this balance: we need more people with technical
skills working in local communities, and more tech events that
specifically focus on community needs rather than individual technologies.

By focussing on one specific geographical area — where we live — we can
attempt to break this impasse. Anyone who’s been in enough meetings
knows that the real progress happens before and afterwards, in the pub,
a chat on the street corner on the way out. This chance emergence of
ideas interactions and friendships can’t happen if people simply aren’t
meeting in this way. People spend a lot of time looking at how to make
the tech sector more diverse; and yet this always seems to be
initiatives from within, not without.

As people with a background in technology, let’s re-engage with our
communities and find out what we can do for them and what they can do
for us. And maybe it’ll fixa bunch of other problems
<https://medium.com/r/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FMcrDig%2Fstatus%2F831455627545280512>along
the way.

      Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

/Use fewer, better technologies./

Most organisations and individuals have tiny budgets (or no budgets) for
technical products and services. Money spent on these things is
explicitly not going on services for their users. And yet the tech
industry is constantly trying to sell people expensive products and
services, and work with five- or six-figure website budgets. Of course,
a good web-presence and good quality design are positive things to have
that organisations should aspire to. But in general we should be
enabling organisations to do more with the limited resources they have.

/Reduce/means to simply use less technology, in order to improve the
offers that are there. There is a massive amount of duplication. Most
low-budget websites end up being over-specified (I should know, I’ve
built a few). We should be helping organisations to use fewer, better
technologies, and understanding what is necessary over what is nice.

/Reuse/means that people are constantly re-inventing the wheel at a low
level. There are multiple organisations who maintain a database of
voluntary organisations in Manchester, for example. We need to build
trust and inter-operability to enable people to pool resources to build
systems that work better for everyone.

/Recycle/means that we should have a patternbook of solved problems for
small organisations that can be easily used as off-the-shelf fixes. For
example this could be bits of code to convert a Google Calendar or
Facebook Events feed into a static page on a website, or a set of
supported, tested templates for organisational brochure sites.

This post is the start of a discussion about the axioms of the
technology we product: the things we think so self-evident we barely
inspect them. It’s time to start being more critical about the nature of
the things we are making, who they are for, and what impact they have on
people, community, and planet. We need to get back to a more holistic,
community-grounded technology culture that we own and develop ourselves,
for the good of everyone. I’ll leave you with Tony Benn’sclassic five
questions
<https://medium.com/r/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thenation.com%2Farticle%2Ftony-benn-and-five-essential-questions-democracy%2F>about
democracy that we should perhaps start applying to to technology we use
and create as well:

  * What power have you got?
  * Where did you get it from?
  * In whose interests do you exercise it?
  * To whom are you accountable?
  * How can we get rid of you?

Stay tuned for more on the CTP concept, including details on the pilots
due to start in the next few months! Comments and suggestions welcomed
with open arms. If you like, find out more about my work and practice on
my agency site:Geeks for Social Change
<https://medium.com/r/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fgfsc.network>.