[HacktionLab] Anonymous survey tech?

Charlie Harvey charlie at newint.org
Mon Dec 10 15:44:31 UTC 2018

On 10/12/2018 14:43, Brent wrote:
> Thanks guys
>
> Yup key point about risking duplicate responses. Not a major issue I
> think for my little research but generally. I reckon an approach
> like logging hashes of something like IP addresses to check against
> would work for a good majority of general users.

Hi,

I wouldn't use a hash of the IP if you're worried about anonymity.

There's only 4.3 billion IPv4 addresses to look at - so you can feasibly
calculate all the possible hashes in a reasonable amount of time on a
GPU, build yourself a rainbow table and look up the IPs directly from
the hashes.

You're better off assigning each participant a number using an
autoincrement or something like that and throwing away any IP data you
happen to acquire by virtue of this being the internet.

If you want to go full-on tinhat and have significant time to spare
(it's a pig to set up), securedrop is a very good tool that tries very
hard to protect anonymity:
https://securedrop.org/

Cheers,

> Network23 is great in not storing IPs at all. Wordpress contact form
> could work, if a bit clunky. For others' general info, Network23 has
> some sensible limitations- a full-access wordpress install could use
> survey or form plugins to store data in database with theme customised
> to be 'bare' if desired.
>
> Disroot looks good generally thanks although doesn't do full survey-type
> forms. There's a not so usual dilemma here in that there's privacy need,
> but the website pictures of folk in masks running riot could have
> interesting effects on potentially not-so-radical research respondents.
> Also, ye old trust question- i have some idea of e.g. network23 but
> don't know disroot.
>
> Hmm. Thinking about network23, thanks, or might just use disclaimers
> with fall back to the good ol' paper or PGP options.

> On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 at 18:25, bou <bou at aktivix.org
> <mailto:bou at aktivix.org>> wrote:
>
>     Don't know how anonymous these would be, but if you don't have where to
>     put your drupal installation, you can start here:
>
>     https://framaforms.org/
>
>     https://disroot.org/en/services/polls
>
>     b.

Charlie Harvey
IT Director
New Internationalist

t: +44 (0)1865 403249
w: https://newint.org/
k: https://ox4.li/gpgkey/

** Shop with a conscience: https://ethicalshop.org **

New Internationalist is an independent not-for-profit communications
cooperative. We publish the multi-award winning New Internationalist
magazine, a huge range of books from non-fiction to graphic novels, and
run an ethical mail order business. Learn more at: https://newint.org/about

Incorporated in the UK under no.1005239.

Old Music Hall, 106-108 Cowley Rd., Oxford, OX4 1JE, UK