[HacktionLab] Facebook exodus & where are people going

Paula Graham paula at fossbox.org.uk
Mon Mar 26 09:30:51 UTC 2018

Nearest thing to whatsapp would be telegram but purists get sniffy about encryption protocols and it doesn't encrypt by default. I use threema but it's a paid/closed app and kind of needs you to understand keys so most people won't use it. There's also conversations recommended by Guardian - but it's a bit of a pain with keys if you run multiple instances. Surespot has no audit and signal is a bit limited.

I'm guessing only people who hate FB anyway will leave, not holding my breath for renaissance of open source social spaces. Haven't seen a discernible uptick in mastodon? Haven't used diaspora for years.

Paula