[HacktionLab] Facebook exodus & where are people going

Ben Green ben at bristolwireless.net
Mon Mar 26 09:58:04 UTC 2018

Hi all,

this post reads "Facebook exodus", but then the responses are all
about either micro blogging or personal messaging platforms. I now
have to have Signal, Telegram, Facebook Messenger, IRC client, SMS,
Whatsapp and so on all installed on my phone/computer so that I can
communicate with groups who have a particular preference. Frankly I
don't need any more this thread has now given me another 8 platforms
to look at isn't really helpful.

Those services, micro blogging and personal messaging, are not the
reason Facebook has become ubiquitous. It's the extended suite of
services. For me, the event calendaring is the most useful part of
facebook. I can contact groups who I know have signed up as being
interested in an event, and see the events I've signed up for in
calendar form. Other people might have different needs.

We aren't going to stop Facebook with more and more and more micro
blog/personal messenger platforms. I don't need more ways of people
contacting me and I don't need more pictures of peoples meals. There
needs to be an effort to find the useful and societaly enriching parts
of Facebook and to have our own empowering services which take the
best parts of the proprietary platforms and give them choice, security
and privacy.

2p,
Cheers,
Ben