[HacktionLab] fediverse

Kate Dawson k4t at 3msg.es
Wed May 22 12:12:51 UTC 2019

Some thoughts on fediverse hosting

Since quitter.se shut down  indy.im is (as far as I know) the
longest running gnusocial server in the world. Making it the oldest
server in the fediverse.

It is running the most recent version of gnusocial software, however
gnusocial is not seeing much development at the moment and federation
with some of the more current fediverse implementations is not always
good (i.e. some Mastodon implementations).

So, whilst having a hacktionlab official account on indy.im might be
nice, it might not get the reach that other servers do.

Also, rather than centralising on mastodon.social
(which is the largest of mastodon servers, and well maintained by the
lead dev Eugene Rochko), having an fficial a/c on sends a nice message
of federation support and diversity.

We might have connections to this group  (who were/are related to Vision
On TV )

https://campaign.openworlds.info
https://activism.openworlds.info

which might make a nice home for a fediverse a/c ?

But anywhere is better than no where!

Xxx Kate

P.S

There was some talk about hosting a Pleroma installation on the indy.im
domain, but I think a lack of person power to do it.  I don't have an
interest in running a Mastodon instance.

https://git.pleroma.social/pleroma/pleroma

pub   RSA 2048/F3D9BA54 2019-05-15 bou <bou at aktivix.org>