[HacktionLab] Online document editing software (free (as in beer))?

Charlie Harvey charlie at newint.org
Mon Apr 11 10:47:59 UTC 2022

On 07/04/2022 23:12, Mike Harris wrote:
> Also there’s a lot about licences for multi-user installs that seemed to imply it would get expensive to use….  Anyone else paying for licences for it, or have I missed something there?

Hi,

Yes, that site is a mess!

What it is is that there's a community edition and a paid edition, you
have to hunt round for the community edition a bit, but it is there (and
free).

I installed it per:
https://helpcenter.onlyoffice.com/installation/docs-community-install-docker.aspx
which got me a docker image that would play with Nextcloud. I then had
to install the Nextcloud onlyoffice "app" which does the work of
communicating back and forth between Nextcloud and onlyoffice (I imagine
Cryptpad has something similar).

Charlie Harvey
IT Director
New Internationalist

t: +44 (0)1865 403 249
m: +44 (0)7912 327 288
w: https://newint.org/
k: https://ox4.li/gpgkey/

** Shop with a conscience: https://ethicalshop.org **

New Internationalist is an independent not-for-profit communications
cooperative. We publish the multi-award winning New Internationalist
magazine, a range of books from non-fiction to graphic novels, and
run an ethical mail order business. Learn more at: https://newint.org/

Incorporated in the UK under no. 1005239.

Old Music Hall, 106-108 Cowley Rd., Oxford, OX4 1JE, UK
PO Box 819, Markham, Ontario, L3P 8A2, Canada