[HacktionLab] Idea in formation for a possible session

ekes ekes at aktivix.org
Wed May 11 15:29:48 UTC 2022

I've got another idea for a session forming, so I thought I'd throw the
idea here and see if anyone has interest or input... or maybe copies of
media to help?

Clara and me are both reading
Breaking the Spell: A History of Anarchist Filmmakers, Videotape
Guerrillas, and Digital Ninjas by Chris Robé
https://www.pmpress.org/index.php?l=product_detail&p=903
at the moment, and we have the idea collect some films to screen to go
with the argument/s being presented in the book. Partly just for us to
watch, but we'd show them here in our social space as a bit of a season
of films and discussion.

I've not finished the book yet - just got to the Indymedia chapter
funnily enough - but I can already summarise the form. He's making cases
about:

* The obvious: Access to technology changes how activists are making and
distributing material, for example, the presentation style of
third-cinema with film cameras to the porta paks of Videofreekx. And
things like the knowing use of rough footage or simple camera work
exposing the production and editing, for content by likes of Paper Tiger TV.
* But also: How the groups reflect the society they are in. The
developing, often implicit anarchist ways of organising which starts
with the example along side the explicit Marxism-Leninism of of the
'League of Revolutionary Black Workers'; the recurring, but growing
awareness of patriarchy; and the basic white middle class bias and
relation to other groups, or white-saviour-ism. Peoples Video Theatre
get an interesting mention there.
* And: How they are presaging some of the changes in the capitalist
economy, for example Videofreex as part of the fore-forefront of
flex-capitalist employment in the media sector. And how the methods of
organising sometimes integrate with changes in the economy.

For films to screen the example of 'The Battle of Chile' seems a long
one in the chapter on Third Cinema; but 'Finally Got The News' made with
a group that split off Newsreel NY about/together with the 'League of
Revolutionary Black Workers' in Detroit isn't, and it has a great
political organisational backstory.
I can already see that there are some films about, and by, the
Videofreex, but films by Peoples Video Theatre seem to only have access
   for media studies academics.
Moving into Act Up, Paper Tiger TV, Deep Dish TV: I'm sure some folks on
this list will have ideas about their films and/or where to get them.
And then - getting to the point where I am in the book - there is output
from the early Earth First, Cascadia Free State, Cascadia alive... and
of course then this thing called Indymedia in Seattle...

So as you can see a rough idea of films. A mixture of films about the
movements and activists made later, and films made by them (some of
which then usually need some context for presenting). Lots of them a
pain to find, some easy.

Sure some of you have opinions about good films to fit such a list, and
might even have copies of them? Folks might also be interested in
discussing the ideas, or arguments, that Robé is making in the book too.
So a bit of a discussion.

So something forming around that. Most certainly a discussion, and
sharing of knowledge and media; not a presentation :-P