[HacktionLab] Remote talks this year: your thoughts please...

m3shrom m3shrom at riseup.net
Wed May 17 08:47:27 UTC 2023

On 17/05/2023 01:30, Mike Harris wrote:
> Hi All,
> 3) For some events we have produced a fixed schedule (such as the
> Oxford Tech Tactics event in  2017, and some older HacktionLabs). As
> we've widely publicised this event in Sheffield, maybe a fixed,
> published schedule might be appropriate for this.  Any thoughts?
> (Especially interested in @Mick and @Clara's thoughts on this one, as
> they've oft been the ones who have 'worked' the schedules into order).

Hi there,

Just quick thoughts and not ones that I hold really strongly.

I think that the unconference and flexible format  hacktionlab is one
thing that gives it part of its flavour.
It is a bit of work at the start of the event (although less in advance)
but also a really good way of shaping it in a positive, participatory way.

I do think streamed in sessions would be in danger of reducing that
flexibility and feel. The more off-line - (previously even rural) - can
be a nice change of pace.

On a more personal note, I really value in-the-room discussions over
remote ones. But clearly Jay's session sounds really interesting. I get
the feeling you're moving towards time-boxing in a remote session/s slot
on Sunday morning. That seems like a good idea.

Again, just sandwiching that these are just opinions!

nice one
Mick