[HacktionLab] wiping phones data

mickfuzz mickfuzz23 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 18:11:35 UTC 2023

On 21/11/2023 22:00, sb wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Long time lurker here, hi. The question is how deep do you want to go?

Not too deep if I'm honest. The main thing is this. I would like to be
able to say to people that donate their phones for reuse something like.

"We wipe the user data from the phone in a way which makes it
impractical for the next user to read it."

So not impossible / military grade no fragments etc. But in practical
terms it's not going to happen with any off the shelf tools.

In all likelihood a factory reset would be adequate, but I would like to
go further and prevent people from using a tool like dd rescue (gui) to
recover files for phones before they were encrypted by default.

So some kind of tool to write zeros, overwrite old data seems like a
good idea. Any suggestions welcome for android pre-10

So I do want to avoid having to install a new OS as that'll probably be
overkill for this project I would hope.

Thanks everyone for their help so far.

On 22/11/2023 14:09, Michael Rogers wrote:
> On 21/11/2023 22:00, sb wrote:
>> When doing a factory reset, there is actually a duplicate hidden
>> partition of the main one, that just gets reloaded onto the main one
>> if it goes down. When you flash the bootloader with another manager,
>> that's how you get access. Hope that makes sense. I have no idea
>> about iPhone s.
>
> I think this is only the system partition though, not the user
> partition where all your personal data's stored. A factory reset
> should wipe the user partition but not either of the system partitions.

That was the impression that I got too. This would be good to confirm
one way or other.

nice one
Mick