[HacktionLab] wiping phones data

mat A mat at de-mystify.co.uk
Thu Nov 23 18:55:31 UTC 2023

this tool writes zero's or randomness to free space on internal and external sd drives:

	https://f-droid.org/packages/us.spotco.extirpater/ (https://f-droid.org/packages/us.spotco.extirpater/)

	Works on android 4 and up so should be adequate for the use case and avoiding re install,

	Mat
November 22, 2023 6:11 PM, "mickfuzz" <mickfuzz23 at gmail.com (mailto:mickfuzz23 at gmail.com?to=%22mickfuzz%22%20<mickfuzz23 at gmail.com>)> wrote:
On 21/11/2023 22:00, sb wrote:Hi all,

Long time lurker here, hi. The question is how deep do you want to go?
	Not too deep if I'm honest. The main thing is this. I would like to be able to say to people that donate their phones for reuse something like.

	"We wipe the user data from the phone in a way which makes it impractical for the next user to read it."

	So not impossible / military grade no fragments etc. But in practical terms it's not going to happen with any off the shelf tools.

	In all likelihood a factory reset would be adequate, but I would like to go further and prevent people from using a tool like dd rescue (gui) to recover files for phones before they were encrypted by default.So some kind of tool to write zeros, overwrite old data seems like a good idea. Any suggestions welcome for android pre-10

	So I do want to avoid having to install a new OS as that'll probably be overkill for this project I would hope.

	Thanks everyone for their help so far.
On 22/11/2023 14:09, Michael Rogers wrote: On 21/11/2023 22:00, sb wrote:When doing a factory reset, there is actually a duplicate hidden partition of the main one, that just gets reloaded onto the main one if it goes down. When you flash the bootloader with another manager, that's how you get access. Hope that makes sense. I have no idea about iPhone s.
I think this is only the system partition though, not the user partition where all your personal data's stored. A factory reset should wipe the user partition but not either of the system partitions.
	That was the impression that I got too. This would be good to confirm one way or other.

	nice one
Mick