[HacktionLab] Help with Indymedia talk

Mike Harris mike at mbharris.co.uk
Wed Jul 17 21:13:57 UTC 2024

Hey all,

I’m going to be giving a talk on Indymedia at this year’s Green Gathering.

My plan is to draw on my personal experience of 5 events of 5 years, from the Horizone Camp in Stirling for the G8 Summit in 2005 to the Climate Camp at Blackheath in 2009 as a view of the fall of Indymedia.  I’ll cover also where it came from, look at it’s heyday (again through personal experience), look at some of the factors behind its demise, and then look at “so what?” Or rather where are we at today? And what’s next?

I’d really like to gather your inputs on any of the following:

- what has replaced Indymedia in your opinion?  What platforms, services, approaches do we have to do filling the gap?
- what are we lacking? What have we lost?
- do you have any ideas for what we could do in the future? How do you see the future?

Any of your contributions much appreciated, either on, of off list, and also include if you think I’m missing something in general, or ought to consider a different approach, or way of framing things.

The talk and discussion is going to be no more than about 45 mins.

Thanks all,

XtreamLab
W: https://XtreamLab.net
T: +44 7811 671 893