[HacktionLab] Help with Indymedia talk

ben benxxxx at protonmail.com
Thu Jul 18 08:54:00 UTC 2024

what has replaced Indymedia in your opinion?  What platforms, services, approaches do we have to do filling the gap?

Tiktok, twitter, instagram, youtube, Signal, Whatsapp...

- what are we lacking? What have we lost?

Lack of privacy awareness. More individual centred than collective minded.

- do you have any ideas for what we could do in the future? How do you see the future?

Federation is the future in my opinion - whether that be rss, ical, activitypub or a combination/something else.

We are not quite there yet, in terms of having setups that can compete with the silicon valley backed companies, but I think we are getting close.

A big thing to note from my breadtube presentation at HL 2022, though, is the conclusion we drew from that about how important it is to be active in spaces where people are at, and not to concede those spaces to right wing folk.

So, while we should attempt to move away from the big corporate sites, I don't think we should abandon them completely.

Sent from Proton Mail Android