[HacktionLab] Help with Indymedia talk

ekes ekes at aktivix.org
Sat Jul 20 12:00:14 UTC 2024

My 2p if it helps.

> - what has replaced Indymedia in your opinion?  What platforms, services, approaches do we have to do filling the gap?
> - what are we lacking? What have we lost?
> - do you have any ideas for what we could do in the future? How do you see the future?

My answers to this switch between all those already given, particularly
Charlie and Bou's. I think this is because Indymedia was always a
dichotomy. One was media as made by the participants for a somewhat
broader audience: maybe what is now the novaras and counterpunchs of the
world. The bit that required more editorial and presention. The other
was media as made by the participants for other activists, it's a
smaller audience with a higher existing insider knowledge. This is now
provided by a disparate and sometimes difficult to find and follow set
of blogs, still existing Indymedias, Mutus and a few 'social media'
accounts.

I disagree that 'social media' (be it surveillance capitalist, or free
and federated) has filled much of the gap. It is largely too
individualised. Federation isn't a political solution in and of itself.
While Indymedia theoretically didn't editorialise. It did collectively
organise reporting, and moderate, and create direction (when it works).
So it is more collectives who run blogs together (or sometimes
associated 'social media' accounts) that give the similar content and
depth. These blogs and accounts are usually hinged around a particular
(anarchist) group, or sometimes (action) movement. So what's lost is the
collective generalist, yet still, scene media to orientate people from
disparate activist strands together; and occasionally be the trusted
source for 'outsiders'.

Future? I'd kinda like to leave that to the kids (who are organising the
actions now). But it absolutely has to be on infrastructure that 'we'
(they) control and can make decisions collectively about - there I'm
still happy to help (and campaign).

ekes