[imc-uk-emergency] Sub-domains and Redirects for indymedia.org.uk

Space Bunny lists at j12.org
Mon Jun 9 22:39:11 BST 2003

07.06.2003 23:55:41, ana <penasana at yahoo.es> wrote:

>I thought once you have the domain indymedia.org.uk you could put
>whatever you wanted before 'free'... If this is not the case,

well it is quite common to charge such fees where a human from a company has to
set up sub domains, even if part of work has been done in handing on plate what
to do. Positive Internet who I have some of my web hosting with has a charge too
but they have let me off when I have requested sub domains on my domains they
host as I am such a good customer of theirs.

Often, where one can do set up one self through a control panel such as with
http://www.just-the-name.com there is no charge.

>Why can we not do it directly with indymedia?

I answered this one before in a previous email. For .uk domains one has to host
the DNS handling on a server that belongs to a nominet UK ( http://www.nic.uk/ )
IPSTAG (a unique identifier for each domain registry in the UK)  holder or the
owner of domain will incurred an increased nominet fee of 80 pounds a year
rather than few pounds. This is one of resons I recommend people buy top level
domains rather than .uk ones. We are lucky in that chris choome say he can host
the dns on a server that is cover by a nominet UK IPSTAG. Though if we did not
have chrisc we could have just moved doamin to justthename.com

I guess someone contacts poptel with IPSTAG chris uses and request transfer. I
see no reason for this not to be requested asap, perhaps be from Andi as makes
sense to have continuity of contact. And can not see why any one would object.
Go for it.
Also chris could maybe fix it so
http://indymedia.org.uk
redirected too.