[imc-uk-emergency] MIR open publishing model

ionnek ionnek at gmx.net
Mon May 12 13:03:37 BST 2003

sb, thanks for this clarification!
agree that we as a network need to work on our position on open publishing
models, agree that this shouldn't stop the migration to mir.

I'd interpret the discussion on irc plus follow up emails as a consensus of
those involved to implement the "moderation afterwards" model now, and to
consider it as a test-setup to be reevaluated in a network meeting. This
consensus is based on the preferences of imc sheffield, imc oxford and imc
london, and includes your call for more discussion (which I strongly
support!). It would be desirable to hear what other collectives think, and
if they support that proposal - i.e. to find more than this "silent
consensus" -  those who don't express reservations agree.
but I guess we have to send a summary of what was discussed first.
Pragmatically, I don't want to interrupt the flow of the tech work now. I
feel assured that the techs are up for putting work in post launch changes.
And last not least, I'd like to say that I'm really happy about the way we
are proceeding - at least every move and technical progress is being
described on email or twiki, and although it takes time to get one's head
around what's happening and put all the information together, at least it's
possible.
so thanks!
Ionnek