[imc-uk-emergency] responses, thoughts and just blind waffling....!

Alfred Scott womblemedic at bigfoot.com
Sun May 18 23:12:36 BST 2003

I came back to the beginning after getting about two thirds of the way
through writing this to note that not everyone may be interested in this
post and, in such a case, i would like to highlight the salient points.
Firstly, i have commented upon the transition to mir and some recent
discussions... reading between the lines one might almost think i am
offering a bigger commitment in terms of time, etc (maybe I am!)...
following this, i go on to talk about some side projects from imc for
the uk - united kollektives, all.  So read on:

I wish to make a few comments on stuff that has been posted to the
emergency list and discussed on irc recently... not because of any big
reason that i've been saving it up, but mainly cos time is sometimes
hard to find.

i think that presentation - and hence colours - is really important.
personally, i don't like large expanses of white or other bright
colours: they give me a headache.  but something like a dark text on a
lighter background, perhaps with white as the overall border for
everything, would work well.  i think that as we discussed it on
thursday, it sounded like something of a compromise...but people may
want to comment again.

the 'other regions' debate also seems to be settled, so i won't visit
that again.  instead, another idea that was proposed was of having a
'technology' area, with info about open-source software adn
applications, and the general computer/information revolution that is
occurring as a backend to the imc and other projects...

but again, there is the problem of people to maintain the (sub)site.  so
i suggest that it would be better to keep this as part of the 'other
regions' - call it 'other stuff' if you like - and let anything else
grow from there.

i guess i also wanted to comment on anarchobabe's posting, and on the
linked articles, notably on infoshop.org - these are questions we
probably all should be asking.  but are they appropriate for indymedia?
can there be another, linked forum which provides a greater forum for
op/ed style communications which do not discriminate positively or
negatively against any group of people?  or even, should there be?  is
the internet not a broad enough medium in itself that one site cannot
encompass it all?

big questions - relevant?  relevant to the internet and thus also to
imc... but it is [only? really??] important to get to grips with the
local, in order to make some impact.

but enough of the waffle.  what i particularly wanted to say was that
there could be other, linked forums or spaces, to IMC, that could
develop some of these ideas.  Many examples are starting to come into
existence on the web... but then again, perhaps many examples have
already been in existence.

Anyway, my ideas started just over a year ago, at a 'last dinner' before
some people went down - except they didn't.  mayday was successful and
discussion didn't progress.  instead, a document was written and there
it stopped (apart from a half hearted attempt at a discussion
grouphttp://lists.riseup.net/www/info/collective) - the remains are
still there to be seen:
http://lists.riseup.net/www/d_read/collective/collective.pdf But now it
seems that a new group has taken up a similar idea - www.hub.org.uk -
and they have portrayed things in a slightly different way.

I don't want to influence anyone, but i have certain feelings about this
project.  One of the things i envisaged was a collaboration with imc -
particularly the uk imc.  i thought there should be a 'front page' for
the uk, a fairly simple page that just had a few links: op/ed,
uk-groups, news (uk-imc newswire or main column - your choice!),
background links, medical resources, legal resources, etc, etc.

but this *is* a big project.... one that needs to work with existing
projects and expand outwards from them without impinging....

any thoughts, any one?

love & rage

gdm

--