[LAF] Meetings

steve ash steveash_2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 31 00:15:44 UTC 2005

> Every Saturday
> Every second Saturday
> First and third Saturday of the month
> First Saturday and third Sunday
> 10th and 25th day of the month
> etc

A rough template (ie 1st and 3rd Sat) subject to
modification would probably work.

> All have advantages and disadvantages.
> We would have to decide a general "scheme" and
> specific "parameters".
> Concensus decision making via email list is a
> nightmare!!

I think Justin used the 'consensus decision making',
though I suspect he was using it loosely. I'm
certainly not suggesting we have somekind of formal
procedure (that's a bit too anal I feel) but rather
that everyone should have the opportunity to input
their views. After all anarchism is about the
equalisation of power more than anything else. We
don't have to be rigid or formal about this or insist
on strict consensus, we just need to communicate and
exchange opinions. My original objection was just that
it seemed meetings were being set by a 'small clique'
and half the time I wasn't even getting emails about
it, let alone asked if I could make it or not. I'm not
paranoid enough to think I was the only one effected
in this way either. Whereas the previous coordinators
(including myself) usually bent over backwards to
ensure a date was set that all the regulars could
attend. This seems the best way to me unless you only
ever want three people to attend. Its nice to get new
people but the core regulars are what has kept the
meetings alive for so long.

Weekends afternoons are times I'm rarely free, but if
that suits most people I have no problem with it.

> I am attracted to the simplicity of a system where
> those
> present at a meeting are responsible for organising
> the
> next one and announcing it to the list. If that is
> too short
> notice then the first meeting fixes the next two
> meetings
> and after that each meeting just confirms the next
> one and
> organises the one after that.

If you mean the list has the same powers as the
meeting, I agree. Though I'm a bit wary of giving too
much power to those who attend the most meetings! But
I guess its a practical solution. We only meet twice a
month now so it shouldn't be short notice from one
meeting the next really.

Steve