[LAF] Meetings

Ian Gregory aktiv at zenatode.org.uk
Sun Jul 31 18:29:49 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 01:15:44AM +0100, steve ash wrote:

> If you mean the list has the same powers as the
> meeting, I agree. Though I'm a bit wary of giving too
> much power to those who attend the most meetings! But
> I guess its a practical solution. We only meet twice a
> month now so it shouldn't be short notice from one
> meeting the next really.

Hi Steve,

I am not sure if that is what I meant. I was suggesting
that decisions about when to hold meetings should only
be made at meetings. I too am wary of "giving too much
power" to those who attend meetings, but I am even more
wary of distibuting that power to everyone on the list
given that it is completely open.

Presumably, for most of it's history, LAF survived as a
forum in which those present at the forum made the
decisions. Just because we have the Internet does not
mean we have to change that principle. Of course there
is nothing to stop us moving it entirely into cyberspace
and not even have physical meetings - but I don't think
we should (there are probably plenty of such forums
already in existence).

So the list for discussions and announcements, but
decisions made at meetings would be my recommendation.
Of course I would be quite happy to continue participating
under different arrangements:-)

And regarding your propsed breakaway Friday group - I
don't see why it would even really be a split. LAF could
hold meetings on Fridays and Saturdays. Yes there would be
a tendency for two subgroups to form based on people's
availability on those days - but they would still be
united by this list, and of course there would be some
overlap in participation.

I think I have already said enough, I don't want to make a
big deal of it - there are plenty more important things to
be discussing:-)

Ian

--
Ian Gregory