[LAF] Slightly more detailed notes on SOMA

justin hooper_jackson at yahoo.com
Wed May 18 00:30:50 UTC 2005

Can't remember if i sent this out before,
so will send it now, just in case...

Justin

Thought i'd post more detailed desription
of SOMA than is in the flier/emailout/postings...

Here it is...

SOMA is a form of activism that aims to challenge the authoritarian or submissive
behaviour that we discover in our daily lives.  It encourages perception and awareness of
how this behaviour reproduces authoritarian systems and aims to extend this awareness to
other areas of our lives, to challenge hierarchy and social injustice.

SOMA is an opportunity to study the micro-political and the everyday through our bodies’
response to certain physical exercises.  The physical challenges based on movement, drama
and capoeira exercises, focus on and develop the skills of creativity, aggression, and
sensitivity.  SOMA works out of a framework which incorporates the theories of Wilhelm
Reich, anti-psychiatry, and Gestalt, and the practice of self-organisation and
solidarity.