[LAF] Ed's copy of Prison Diaries

Barry ODea barryjodea at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 7 17:33:17 UTC 2007

Hi Mich, yes u r right, i typed it out quick coz the book's at home but, yes, it's Alexander Berkman, lover of Emma Goldman. It's kinda bleak and i really feel sorry for Alexander (although i know he would be really angry at pity from another anarchist), but he was very courageous in basically offering up his life (he expected to die in the assasination attempt on Frick but got 22 years instead) for the propaganda of the deed in the hope of agitating the masses to boil over into social revolution.  His attitude reminded me of those French anarchists around the same time who would rather march to the guillotine for resistance rather than become wage slaves...  I'd better stop there or there won't be anything left to read...and YES I'd love to swap you with "The Good Soldier Svejk (Sweik)by Jaroslav Hasek", maybe see you on 20 nov at steve's talk?

michelle martin <kj10680 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:  Hi all,

i have been on this list a few months now but never
posted b4!

I would really like to come to this meeting, sounds
really kl, is it o.k. for anyone to come, and is there
any text we have to read before?

However I may be in hospital by then, am waiting for a
date, but its about 50/50 - so if not i would like to
come.

Also, if its Alexander Berkman (i take it that it was
a typo as can't see two writers who both shot the boss
of steel company - Frick(well manager, for Carnegie)
about 100 years ago), then i would really like that
book, read his ABC, also published as What is
Anarchist Communism , and his The Russian Tragedy -
which in the preface it has his life long friend and
sometimes lover Emma Goldman quoting from his Prison
Memoirs of an Anarchist, and i would well like to get
a copy

I just got a new bedsit less than a year ago, so
before that had nowhere permanent, so lost boxes of
records and books so therefore I aint really got much
to swap , got a copy of The Good Soldier Svejk (Sweik)
by Jaroslav Hasek - a bit of a classic anti-war book
i'm told, and would also say anti-bureaucracy,etc. I
am also at a mates house, so when i get home and look
might find something else i forgot about.

Or if i see you at the booksale i could buy you a few
books, or if not i can just pay you up to a tenner if
that is enough; if not i may be able to get some more
cash, don't sure, but please let me know :)

cheers, mich