[LAF] Blog post on de-criminalisation of prostitution in San Francisco

Echo of Freedom EchoOfFreedom at riseup.net
Thu Oct 30 08:20:46 UTC 2008

http://www.melissagira.com/2008/10/29/keeping-san-francisco-safe-from-prostitutes/

Who really is opposing Proposition K, a ballot initiative now before San
Francisco voters, which would forbid the City from spending public funds on
arresting and jailing sex workers? Even among sex workers, this ballot
initiative is not without controversy. We do recognize one common ground: that
so long as sex workers are criminals, sex workers will never have full civil and
human rights. Who would oppose the right of sex workers to organize their own
labor, to have access to health care, to hold law enforcement to the same
standards as other citizens do? Who would say that it’s not important to prevent
rape, assault, and even murder of sex workers, if it would risk reducing their
property values?

The biggest opposition to Prop K isn’t anti-prostitution feminist groups. It’s
“neighborhood associations.” Unlike even the most socially conservative
feminists, they never say, I don’t want sex workers to be raped. They say, I
don’t want to see sex workers. Don’t want to see them on their front steps.
Don’t want to see their clients or “pimps.” Don’t want to see condoms, or
syringes. In short: don’t want to see poverty, don’t want to see poor people.

(for more see the link)

--
http://freedom.libsyn.com/       Echo of Freedom, Radical Podcast
http://eng.anarchopedia.org/     Anarchopedia, A Free Knowledge Portal

  "None of us are free until all of us are free."    ~ Mihail Bakunin