[LAF] Blog post on de-criminalisation of prostitution in San Francisco

Ed McArthur antines at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 30 13:38:47 UTC 2008

Ok : Granted   Proposition K, should be supported as it would reduce the
power of the police  and putting prostitutes in Jail is not the answer and they should certainly be protected from murder and rape
  but

Are you saying prostitution is somehow a solution to poverty ? because its not(I don't think you are but you could give that impression -  you know  "Prostitution provides poor women with a better income than working for min wage in a supermarket")  is an argument I hear from right and some left wing libertarians)

Most  supporters of the proposition are so called right wing "libertarians"  ( the are not libertarian because they believe in socially coercive relations  but think they should be private) who see women and indeed people
as commodities to be bought and sold .

The same people used the same arguments to oppose
 the ending of slavery (Some of them even
claimed that
slavery was good for the slaves)  when slavery was abolished former slaveholders were paid compensation
for loss of their "Property Rights"  The rights of "sex workers" and pimps are no more valid than those of the erstwhile slaveholders

Most prostitution is based in poor areas, its the poor people who have to suffer from the pimps, the men who harass women  who  are not  prostitutes and yes the dirty needles and discarded condoms which are a health hazard for poor people who don't have access to health care or indeed health education

Why should people who LIVE in the district not have a say  this is grass roots feeling not the state imposing from above  its not a question of being anti sex but being
anti chimerical sex

Why do so many people on the libertarian - left have such a different attitude to the SEX industry than to other forms of commerce ?

Ed

Ed MacArthur   07981  900  563

www.eventsandissues.bravehost.com