[LAF] Blog post on de-criminalisation of prostitution in San Francisco

Echo of Freedom EchoOfFreedom at riseup.net
Thu Oct 30 14:59:00 UTC 2008

> * Are you saying prostitution is somehow a solution to poverty ?

Nope, prostitution is as much a solution to the poverty as 'right to work' or
other capitalist exchanges (i.e. not a solution at all). But it is a way that
some people survive poverty, whether we like it or not.

There was this article about some country where people were eating clay cakes
out of hunger. Now eating clay is not a solution to hunger, but neither is
banning eating or making clay cakes.

> * Most  supporters of the proposition are so called right wing
> "libertarians"

I am against prostitution, i believe that it is capitalism on steroids, but i
will not support criminalisation of already marginalised segments of population.

Most of supporters of "working class" are supporters of strong government. But
that doesn't mean i have to equate workers with the capitalist system.

> * Most prostitution is based in poor areas, its the poor people who have
> to suffer from the pimps, the men who harass women  who  are not
> prostitutes and yes the dirty needles and discarded condoms which are a
> health hazard for poor people who don't have access to health care or
> indeed health education *

Yes, and most drunken brawls are started by workers, and that doesn't help the
community.

> * Why should people who LIVE in the district not have a say  this is
> grass roots feeling not the state imposing from above  its not a
> question of being anti sex but being *
> * anti chimerical sex *

That's a tough question, and i don't have the answer to that. To which extent
can the community decide who can be a part of it and enter their "territory". In
this case i'm uninterested in their arguments as to why they don't want somebody
to be there, they either can exclude people or they can't... and i don't know
what i think about this question yet.

For now i'm on the side of caution and will support the right of an individual
over the right of the community.

> * Why do so many people on the libertarian - left have such a different
> attitude to the SEX industry than to other forms of commerce ? *
> * *
> * Ed *

I don't know. Why do they?