[LAF] [Fwd: [NMPMembers] Anti-Prison Organizing Mtg Nov1]

Echo of Freedom EchoOfFreedom at riseup.net
Mon Sep 22 09:01:42 UTC 2008

-------- Original Message --------
Hi everyone,

Below are the details about a Prison Abolition strategy meeting on
November 1st in London, which is in follow-up to some previous
workshops. Please spread the word and forward widely.

I know there is already lots happening in the next few months with the
memorial for Pauline, the event organized by Lee, the Friends and Family
Demo, the LAF event and other stuff, so hopefully this meeting will
build on the current momentum.

The goal of the meeting is to gather together existing groups who are
working on prison abolition, but also to strategize around how to best
connect with other folks who are working on related issues in order to
build stronger links and coordinate campaigns.  Part of the agenda will
include planning for larger UK-wide gatherings and to hopefully launch a
broader grassroots campaign against the Titan prisons.

If folks can't make it on that date - especially those outside London -
get in touch with me or contact the e-mail below, and we can try to
coordinate connections, possibly by phone-in/conference call, or by
sharing people's priorities and ideas, etc.

Cheers,
~Sam

*BUILDING THE ANTI-PRISON MOVEMENT IN THE UK*
ORGANIZING MEETING

Saturday, November 1, 2008
2-5pm  @ London Activist Resource Centre (LARC)
62 Fieldgate St, Whitchapel, London E1 1ES

*We are living in a time of global mass incarceration*. Prisons are
overflowing, imprisonment rates are skyrocketing and prison costs are
spiraling out of control. ASBOs, increased surveillance and
"anti-terrorism" laws are rolling back civil rights and fostering
cultures of punishment and control. New prisons are about to be built in
the UK and abroad, with private companies reaping enormous profits while
poor people, migrants, people of colour, women, queer and trans folk,
children, youth, and people with mental health issues and disabilities
are disproportionately locked up, punished and subjected to severe
violence and abuse.

*Despite these trends, prisons have failed to make** our communities
safer.* Prisons have failed to protect our neighbourhoods from harm and
have failed to meet the needs of those who experience violence and
abuse.  Prisons have instead fostered more violence and oppression,
including racism, classism, sexism, colonialism, homophobia, transphobia
and ableism.  With the government and private business about to embark
on an enormous prison building spree, including construction of three
massive “Titan” prisons, the time to act is now.

We are calling on prisoners, ex-prisoners, family members of prisoners,
feminists, anti-racist activists, queer and trans folk, people of
colour, migrants, poor communities, over-policed communities, border
activists, anti-violence activists, mental health advocates, disability
activists, harm-reduction advocates, anti-capitalists,
anti-globalization activists, labour organizers and anyone concerned
about social justice issues to join in and help to shape a new struggle
against prisons in the UK.

*This preliminary strategy meeting aims to identify broadly shared
goals, develop plans for action and begin outreach strategies that will
work towards the goal of eliminating the violence, harm and injustice of
prisons. We want to build a broader movement to end incarceration and
detention, and create healthy communities built on social justice.*

Some possible ideas:

=>facilitating regional and UK-wide networking meetings – to
connect folks currently working on prison issues and related struggles

=>organizing a Prisoners Justice Film Festival

=>launching a Direct Action Campaign to Stop the proposed Titan prisons

=>Listening to Prisoners Voices event: sharing audio recordings
of prisoners on the inside talking about their experiences and
their struggles

=>starting a Queer/Trans Prisoners Penpal Group – to connect queer/trans
communities across prison walls

=>organizing prison-abolition workshops that link up with other related
struggles, such as border/migration issues, poverty, addictions,
violence, labour issues, education and environment

If you are unable to attend this meeting but are interested in getting
involved, please get in touch. This is just a preliminary organizing
meeting and it will be followed by other strategy meetings, events and
actions throughout the UK.

  For more info, contact:  building.safe.communities at gmail.com
<mailto:building.safe.communities at gmail.com>

[CONDENSED VERSION FOR CALENDAR LISTINGS:]

Saturday, November 1, 2008
2-5pm  @ London Activist Resource Centre (LARC)
62 Fieldgate St, Whitchapel, London E1 1ES

We are living in a time of global mass incarceration. Prisons are
overflowing, imprisonment rates are skyrocketing and prison costs are
spiraling out of control. Despite these trends, prisons have failed to
make our  communities safer.  With the government about to embark on an
enormous prison building spree, including construction of the three
massive ‘Titan’ prison, the time to act is now.

We are calling on everyone with an interest in community organizing,
social justice and anti-prison activism to join us in a strategy
session. This preliminary strategy meeting aims to identify broadly
shared goals, develop plans for action and begin outreach strategies and

For more info:  building.safe.communities at gmail.com
<mailto:building.safe.communities at gmail.com>