[LAF] Precarious Rhapsody: Semiocapitalism and the pathologies of post-alpha generation

Stevphen Shukaitis stevphen at mutualaid.org
Sun Aug 2 03:21:31 UTC 2009

Precarious Rhapsody: Semiocapitalism and the pathologies of post-alpha
generation
Franco ‘Bifo’ Berardi

Edited by Erik Empson & Stevphen Shukaitis
Translated by Arianna Bove, Michael Goddard, Giusppina Mecchia,
Antonella Schintu, and Steve Wright

An infinite series of bifurcations: this is how we can tell the story
of our life, of our loves, but also the history of revolts, defeats
and restorations of order. At any given moment different paths open up
in front of us, and we are continually presented with the alternative
of going here or going there. Then we decide, we cut out from a set of
infinite possibilities and choose a single path. But do we really
choose? Is it really a question of a choice, when we go here rather
than there?  Is it really a choice, when masses go to shopping
centers, when revolutions are transformed into massacres, when nations
enter into war? It is not we who decide but the concatenations:
machines for the liberation of desires and mechanisms of control over
the imaginary. The fundamental bifurcation is always this one: between
machines for liberating desire and mechanisms of control over the
imaginary. In our time of digital mutation, technical automatisms are
taking control of the social psyche.

Franco Berardi Bifo is a contemporary writer, media-theorist and media-
activist. He founded the magazine A/traverso (1975-1981) and was part
of the staff of Radio Alice, the first free pirate radio station in
Italy (1976-1978). He is author of numerous books, including Ethereal
Shadows: Communications and Power in Contemporary Italy, The Panther
and the Rhizome, Politics of Mutation, Philosophy and Politics in the
Twilight of Modernity, and The Factory of Unhappiness. He is currently
collaborating on the magazine DeriveApprodi as well as teaching social
history of communication at the Accademia di belle Arti in Milan.

Released by Minor Compositions, London
Minor Compositions is a series of interventions & provocations drawing
from autonomous politics, avant-garde aesthetics, and the revolutions
of everyday life.

Distributed by Autonomedia & AK Press.
www.minorcompositions.org |info at minorcompositions.info

154 pages, 6” x 9”