[LAF] Sex Work

steve ash steveash_2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 3 05:07:28 UTC 2009

I'm no longer willing to talk about this as I think its going in circles. But I'd like Joy to present your case on the panel at the Bookfair Meeting.

Prostitution has existed since the beginning of civilization and probably before, I can't imagine something more of a Given. I agree there is is exploitation, degradation and patriarchy involved in most current forms, so there's no need to debate that here, I don't think anyone's denying that.

The only issue is how do we move from this Given to an ideal form of sex work (involving no money, no exploitation and no degradation with the sex workers self employed and in control, as should be all workers). I say by evolution from what we have now, not by waving a magic wand and hoping everything will change for the better).

I think the image of prostitution portrayed here is too 'glamorous', i.e. men exploiting women to do their will through money, in reality the average John is a sad loser who couldn't get laid any other way, so I stick to my charity perspective, though ideally I think if the woman's in control she can enjoy it too, after all there's nothing more to sex than mutual masturbation anyway. There may be an element of 'service' and compromise at times, but that's part of life, just as when we have to look after sick relatives and get lumbered with them. I'm beginning to suspect this form of Feminism is just an extension of selfish egoism, I'm for the good of everyone not just some subsection of society who I might identify with.
It has to be a win / win solution for all concerned as far as I'm concerned.

This idea of Free Sex in which prostitution isn't required is one I would agree with and aim for but I still think its absurd that the entire human race will embrace it over night. Therefore I think even change towards an ideal needs to be a gradual one to what we have now till then. The chances of this happening under Capitalism are next to zero, so the 'Revolution' that heralds in the end of Capitalism, will be the beginning of change not the end of it.