[LAF] FW: gender issue

Ian Gregory ianji at zenatode.org.uk
Mon Aug 3 15:18:13 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 11:38:51AM +0000, Ed McArthur wrote:

> The same applies to the sex industry, I agree with Joy, the law should
> not target the sex workers, but I am for targeting of
> customers/pimps/employers?

I understand your motivation Ed but I don't see how it makes sense to
have a system in which it is legal to charge for sex but illegal to pay
for it. The person providing the service would surely be guilty of
aiding or abetting a criminal act and the whole thing would still have
to operate underground, with all the negative implications for sex
workers.

I am no fan of prostitution but I can't see it being eliminated so
surely would be better to bring it into the open rather than have it
hidden away in a criminal underworld. And isn't the suppression of
prostitution in the West closely linked to Christian morality - not
something you normally support.

Though there are certainly some fundamental differences I see it as
being somewhat akin to the issue of recreational drugs. The drug war
mainly benefits criminal gangs, private prisons, the law enforcement
industry etc, and only adds to any harm caused by the drugs themselves.

And don't say that I am only supporting the right of men to pay women
for sexual services because I equally support the right of women to pay
men for the same - something that is a great deal more prevalent than
many people suspect [1]. As I said, it is not something I particularly
condone (it would be nice if everyone got all the sex they wanted for
free in mutually satisfying relationships or encounters) but I am loath
to support any legislation outlawing private acts between consenting
adults.

[1]: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7914639.stm

Ian

--