[LAF] [allgendergroup] A Sweeding sex-worker on the criminalisation

Joy Wood joy_helbin at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 10 22:00:34 UTC 2009

Volodya

I stand by what I said.  I cannot see how your numbered points relate to my remarks.  Just as an example, in point 4 you use the term anti-sex.  I maintain that the sex industry is anti-sex because it pushes standardised models of sexuality and sexual behaviour and in contrast to this I will quote the radical feminist Andrea Dworkin who said we are a multi-sexed species.
http://www.nostatusquo.com/ACLU/dworkin/LivingWithAndrea.html
I agree with you that prison is a horrible thing but will not go so far as to say there is never an excuse for arresting anybody in the society we live in at present.  Having a law against using prostituted men women and children *does* violate some (mostly men's) rights but by having such a law it makes a clear statement that the violation not just of the rights but of the personhood of all women will not be tolerated let alone normalised.  And this affects not just the prostituted women but all other women and girls who are subject to the idea in this society that women are just commodities to be bought and sold and, when unpaid, just there for the use of men to be either bought or taken without having a purpose of their own.  Prostitution and mainstream commercial films of it (otherwise known as porn films) promote the idea that women like whatever the men do to them and if they don't like it they soon will if he carries on or ups the ante and, if the women still don't like it they are withholding or frigid.  I agree that it should be no crime to accept payment for providing sexual access to oneself but at the same time, even though I agree that there never should be such a law against it and that all such laws should be struck from the statutes, it remains the case that such behaviour promotes the idea that it is acceptable for a subclass of women to be set aside for use by men as a kind of living spittoon and that as long as any woman remains prosituted then no woman is free.  Before slavery was abolished there were some slaves who said they wanted to remain slaves.  Their rights were violated when they were forced to become free but it remains the case that their remaining as slaves violated the rights of everybody because as long as there is no law against slavery then everyone is at risk of becoming slaves.  After all, there's no law against it.  If the slave asserted his rights to remain a slave he would violate the rights of others but of course by enacting a law to make it illegal to keep slaves that was violating the rights of the slave owner.  It is only in theory that we can have our absolute rights without it affecting others in society.

Joy