[LAF] [allgendergroup] Demonising Desire: Men Who Buy Sex and

Joy Wood joy_helbin at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 12 00:03:43 UTC 2009

My point was that the article is mis-titled because it implies that those who oppose the abuse of women are "demonising desire," (specifically, demonising the sexual desire and sexual life of men) rather than whistleblowing on the abuse of women.  I repeat that it is not the *desire* which human rights activists are opposing but rather the physical use of another human being as if the sexual desires and sexual life of that human being were of no account except insofar as that other body could be used solely for the sexual pleasure of the person with the money.  If it is not a technical point that the title of the article is a gross misnomer (ie it is charging human rights activists with demonising the sexual desires of men when they are instead seeking to bring the law against abuse of women towards parity with the law against abuse of men (take it as seriously as any other assault)), then it is a deliberate misleading of the public to use such a phrase, and an attempt to dismiss legitimate viewpoints.  In fact if it was not a technical error to use the phrase "demonising desire," but instead a deliberate put-down then it is an example of Master Suppression Technique number 5 "Heaping Blame and Putting to Shame":

http://kilden.forskningsradet.no/c16881/artikkel/vis.html?tid=55475

In the text, this misrepresentation occurs again, in particular "Government discussions of men who buy sex call them users,

abusers and rapists but also describes them as “around 30 years of
age, married, in full-time employment, and with no criminal
convictions” (Home Office 2004), confirming two researchers’
suggestion that men who buy sex from women are often
constructed as “either the everyman or the peculiar man” (Monto
and McRee 2005). The New Labour government’s pessimism
about men is evident. Masculinity and male desire are social
problems, and men who buy sex epitomise all that is bad
about male desire"

I repeat that the criticism is not of sexual desire, either of the sellers or the buyers, but giving less respect to women in our society.  With regard to the Master Suppression Techniques,

Making Invisible
Ridiculing
Withholding Information
Damned If You Do And Damned If You Don’t
Heaping Blame and Putting to Shame

The first is evidenced in the way women's sexuality, sexual desire and sexual satisfaction is made invisible in a culture of prostitution.  The second is evidenced in attitudes to women and pro-feminist men who point out this disrespect of women.  The third is evidenced in that information on women's sexuality is suppressed or ignored and the opinions of porn magnates are widely available and taken as correct.  The fourth is self evident.  The fifth I have already discussed.

For ease of reference I enclose your link again to the article entitled Demonising Desire.

Joy