[LAF] anarcha-feminism vs pseudo-feminism

Joy Wood joy_helbin at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 22 20:58:58 UTC 2009

Steve

In your previous email you made this plea:

"Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 00:39:01 +0000
> From: steveash_2001 at yahoo.co.uk
> To: laf at lists.aktivix.org
> Subject: [LAF] In responce to feminazism
>

> .....Please argue against what I actually saying instead of your opposing strawman arguements ....."

Yet the whole of your following email consists of strawman arguments and little but.  Furthermore your "conclusion" does not follow from the previous statements.  None of it is an argument.  The first six paragraphs are designed to set up your definition of a good woman and a bad woman, to clearly show which are which, to place anti-prostitution-pro-women feminists in the bad category and to encourage people both to pillory them and avoid being on the 'losing' side by expressing any kind of support for their struggle.

In response to your final paragraph, rather than being pathological it is instead robustly healthy to recognise and state that women who promote prostitution are not only supporting the view that sex work is good (rather than admitting what prostitution promotes, namely a denial of women's sexual freedom at the expense of some men's), they are also shoring up the status quo of treating women as primarily a resource for men's benefit and, in addition, by their support of the behaviour they are encouraging such abuse and causing it to increase.  In other words, I have read nothing on this e-list from anti-prostitution-pro-women feminists or pro-feminist males condemning women who work as prostitutes or saying that they should be banned from doing so.  All I have read is people pointing out the consequences which such promotion of abuse (ie prostitution) leads to.

However, I have read strawman arguments, including one mendaciously accusing the whistleblowers of calling women who work in prostitution "evil" and all this has done is change the subject so that instead of discussing the behaviour of people who exploit women, and the ideology of the people that support said exploitation, the subject has been dropped and, instead, the people who point out this abuse and challenge it are accused of being themselves the perpetrators of abuse.

Joy