[matilda] Wanned for a beak

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Sun Aug 7 15:36:03 BST 2005

Hi all,

So, on to the subject of M.  My perpective on things. Apologies for the
length: this will be, I hope, my one and only e-mail on the subject of M
to this list.  Skip to the end if you want to read what I recommend
doing at tomorrow's meeting.

As anyone who has experience of these things knows, it is all too easy
to slip into a list becoming dominated by discussions about M.  Many
people have already spent a good chunk of Thursday to now either trying
the manage the situation, or pulling their hair out trying to find a way
forward.  I've now spent a good chunk of my Sunday writing this when I
should have been down MATILDA planning things with someone.

What I want to do is write about the situation, and then about M in a
bit more detail.

First: M hasn't been banned.  On Friday morning 'the long-term tenant'
(or LTT) told M that if he didn't start acting differently, he'd be
banned from the building, permanently.  Later, he told M that he should
take a break for a week because things needed to defuse.  (M thinks we
all conspired to warp LTT's mind, of course.)

So one point straight away - whatever the group as a whole decides, we
have to recognise that LTT is in a unique position, dealing with M in
his space on an almost permanent basis.  At this point, things had got
too much.

The reaction of M was, to anyone who knows him, classic M.  He'd done
absolutely nothing wrong: us middle class types were persecuting the
working class (in the form of M.)  No amount of talking, reasoning,
cajoling, sitting down or shouting has ever, or will ever, change M's
approach to this.  I'll come back to that point.

So - what has he done?  Well, on Thursday night I missed most of it and
got back at the tail end, so I'll relay my version.

For me, this was a culmination of things he's been doing for a while,
that have been bearable because I've known M for a number of years, I
care about him, I've been in various different M support fora (sometimes
set up as a pragmatic measure to allow him a forum that wasn't a
political one), and it's been wonderful to see the positive contribution
he's been making.  I don't care if he thinks this is patronising: he
himself admits he has difficulties, and I think I'm allowed to be a
friend to him as well as be honest about this.

The Thursday social tipped the balance.  There'd been some fall-out
between M and others.  Someone else present, with good skills in these
things, facilitated what amounted to a group therapy session.  That took
up, really, the rest of the evening.

When I came down it was still going, and I got involved in trying to
reason with M who, at this stage, was starting to be seriously
unpleasant.  That's my subjective feeling.

For example, I know that he was winding up someone who, within this
space previously, I'm told he has tried to physically assault.  (He had
to be restrained on that occasion.)

For my part, M wound me up so much that I stormed off and threw a hammer
through a window.  That's my responsibility entirely, not M's, but it
gives some indication of how things were I think.  Its not the kind of
thing I make a habit of doing.  (Please feel free to recommend that I be
sent away too, coz not breaking things has to be a groundrule, I think!)

At the end of the evening, after talking with me, LTT and others, M had
suggested that he take a break from the space.  We agreed this would
help chill things out.

The next day, he walked back in to the building as if nothing had
happened.  Things, again , got nasty.  I spent the best part of the day
either talking through the issue with distraught people at the end of
their tether, or talking to M to see if there was any way he wouldn't go
into his default mode of blaming the middle class (i.e. his friends) for
everything that has happened.

So: an entire Thursday social, most of the next day, a good chunk of
Saturday, and now probably a large chunk of tomorrow's meeting - all
dealing with M's fall-out.  Oh, and this e-mail.

I do not have a problem with dealing with difficulties.  I've been doing
that with M in a number of different forums, always alert to the fact
that he has something positive to contribute.  (MATILDA would never have
happened without him, for example!)

But the question is: how many people will continue to come, e.g. to the
Thursday social,  if this is repeated?  I personally want to see M
being  involved, if at all possible, for the reasons I've said above.
But equally, there are only going to be so many times he can be entire
centre of attention, and damage, wind up and hurt others.

The obvious answer is: tell him the ground-rules, talk to him, and
surely he'll understand?  No - this is what saddens and angers me the
most.  I spent so much energy on Friday trying to stop M falling into
default 'I'm being scapegoated / my class the working class are being
persecuted' mode it's untrue.

To the point where it got too much.  To listen to someone (even if you
know not to take it to heart) constantly, again and again, dismiss you
as a middle-class-whatever is just as bad, bigoted and narrow-minded as
racism.  Particularly when, as M did at the end, he threatens to become
a suicide bomber and blow you up!  He dismissed everyone there as one
homogenous group - everyone who's spent so much time, love and energy in
supporting him and being his friend.  It seems he can't help it, and I
know the record hasn't changed for years, but still it hurts.

Now I fear it's a self-fulfilling prophecy: M believes himself the
persecuted working class; we just want him to stop dominating evenings
and attacking people and concentrate on doing the positive things.

I hope the length of this e-mail is at least a little testimony to the
fact that I really want M still involved.  Equally, though, I can't see
how that can happen if he hates us.

Two people  (including myself as it happens) woke up on Friday morning
doubting whether we could carry on with the project if things stay as
they are.  For myself, up to a few days ago, it's been wonderful to see
M has been giving a lot to MATILDA.

But when he goes AWOL, he really does it.  I don't really have any idea
what to do about that.  I agree, though, that a week's break from each
other is the least he could do.  Just honour that request - one that he
initially offered, for God's sake! - without all this bollocks about
f**king class!  It's just so f**king boring!

And just to bring a little logical clarity (oh, the hours of fun I've
had with M and logic!) - we are all conditioned by where we came from.
But M is specifically saying that we have singled him out because of his
class.  "You're scapegoating me coz I'm working class."  This obviously
only works if the rest of us are not in the same category, otherwise
we'd all be scapegoating each other!

Again - that's what I find hardest: M's blatant, unchangeable bigotry.
He left saying I was no longer a friend to him; after everything I have
put in, I can't say how much that hurt.

I tried to reason with him in order to save him from a total ban - which
I believe LTT will do whether we like or no, coz he's had enough.  I
think the only way this could happen was if he realised the *reason*
we're singling him out - nothing to do with whatever category he puts
himself in, but:

1. Because it *is* him - no-one else causes the havoc he does.
2. Because he's often a pain in the bum to deal with, and is really
really hard work.

Now, again, logic: this may or may not be due to his class, or his
genes, or the planets.  It doesn't matter, any more than it would if an
axe murderer came in to space slaughtering willy nilly.  Arguing 'well,
I did cleave people's head's open, but you're singling me out coz of my
class' is not going to work!

***

For tomorrow's meeting: proposal.  There's no way on Earth we can get
around talking about this. But:

1. Only ten minutes on M.
2. If anyone heatedly argues that M should be present to defend himself,
so be it.  But: I can almost guarantee that he'll just say what I've
said above, which doesn't move us forward.
So - we limit him to five minutes response.  Before
3. Ten minutes on what we do about it: action points.

I suggest we discuss whether to let him come along a little before the
meeting starts, say 7.15.  Will that present a problem to anyone wanting
to be involved in that decision?

I know some people will say 'no! that's just more time taken on this!'
But I don't really see an alternative.  I think, if we do this, some
people might not be present though.

Just to say: if things don't go M's way (i.e. we don't back him), I can
almost guarantee he'll stomp out of the meeting hurling abuse at the
middle classes.  I hope to be proved wrong.

Oh God, that was long.

love

Dan