[matilda] Report from CommonPlace meeting.

Benjamin Major complexitybenjamin at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 14 22:24:59 BST 2005

Hello all.

Hope you've all had good weekends, either giving the massive terrain a
massive clean-up, or Shambala-ing it.

Sorry I didn't show up at the work day session. But I haven't been
completely slacking. I'm just fresh from a long, long meeting at the
CommonPlace over in Leeds. It was a big one, lasting from one till gone
seven ! (I must be mad) but it was interesting. Really interesting. I've
learnt a few new facillitation techniques- they had an external facilitating
pair in, who were 'quite' good, I say only quite because I don't think it
was as good as it could have been (it started well and flagged towards the
latter half, but then six hour meetings with half of the attendes having
hangovers is hard-going, so I shouldn't be too harsh on them)- but they did
have some clever techniques of getting the Common Place people to really
think about some of the central questions. Some of the same questions that
we have asked of ourselves.

The CommonPlace are a group who have hit upon a problematic. It is a very
serious problematic, and this was a difficult meeting in which members of
the collective were trying to come to a decision whether they could keep the
building on at all. They have not yet reached a decision. The further
question was of the continuation of the network, even if the physical space
does dissapear for a while. I hope that the network that we have created is
one that it is strong enough to survive whatever complications and
precarities life throws at us.

There was also much discussion about how the Commonplace defined
'themselves'. There was self-reallization that the group had become inward
looking since the G8. That there had been little attempts to made to try and
introduce more people to using the centre.

It was here that I realized how essential it that we consolidate some
collectives, in the next month or so. Not in the sense that we close them
off or say 'you can only be a member of one or other group', but in the
sense that we have a more or less clear idea of where we belong, and that
some indivudal from each is in posession of a key, and is a first point of
contact for anyone new wishing to join in with that collectives. We also
could do with a welcome pack of some sort; I mean welcome leaflet. Or a big
colourful notice which expains what we're all about. And a big, open meeting
designed for newcomers sometime in late September......

As well as this front end to the project, it also made me realise the
importance of having the research, and the legal + futures meetings to back
this up. I don't think this is something that the Commonplace ever even had
on the agenda. To be able to have a case, a clear and well thought out
justification of our existence, is going to be in our favour when we reach
those rough and rocky times that inevitably lay ahead.

It was sad to see a meeting with so much sadness and dejection. Escpecially
when ours are so full of positive energy. But these are our precarious
times; when one light fades, another one is lighting up. And i think the
Commonplace lot seem like they'll survive this rough patch in one form or
another.

Infact. I've done gone kind of invited them over. I'll propose this at the
meeting as I think this would be cool. A joint social. An 'idea',
'experience' sharing exercise over some good food.

After all, even a mole...

...has to meet the neighbours some time  :-)