[matilda] A poem

aMparo amparo2yo at telefonica.net
Mon Dec 12 22:52:16 GMT 2005

*This poem by Chilean Andres Fisher (currently at N. Caroline) is
dedicated as a translation to A. M., --he knows what for.

*

*PERLAS CHALLAY *(*)

i.

My brother is the cat who leaps the garden wall.

My brother is the dog who sniffs between cars.

My sister is the cow who takes the mallet on her forehead.

My brother is the pig in grazing pastures and the slaughterhouse.

ii.

My sister is the baby whose nappies I change with her legs held in my hand.

My sister is the mother bear and the woman with who I share the night.

My sister is the magpie who perches at the far end of a rugby field.

My brother is he who paints with his hands in the middle of an orchard
of avocados.

iii.

My brother is he who looks from the mirror as I clean my teeth.

My brother is who harvests apples at the edge of the forest.

My brother is he who writes to the mouse, to the feeble and to the poet.

My brother is he who with no head on his shoulders holds it firmly
between his hands.