[matilda] How was the Art 05 project a success?

atw againstthewar at totalserve.co.uk
Wed Dec 14 15:07:25 GMT 2005

Eric> Joe has made a mockery of your decision making process and is still doing it.

Our decision making process aint that great and that's not Joe's
fault. We're all responsible.

Eric> The official stance Matilda took, the decision that you all agreed on
Eric> in the Monday meeting after the Art 05 event was that:

Eric> "Matilda will not support the art 05 event or events like it in the
Eric> future, and that while Matilda is happy to have things like this in
Eric> the building, outside funding should be secured before hand"

I presume this means Matilda won't support such events financially.
They have to be self supporting. This is the same with all events at
Matilda. However if an event costs money to put on and the organisers
can recoup costs either in or outside Matilda then fair enough. No one
is going to complain.

If people are using the space to make wages for themselves or others
then that's much more contentious and something which we have yet to
reach consensus on. See the poll on the web site.

Eric> Another reason why I wanted to do the project at Matilda was because I
Eric> trusted you to support me, with the minimum financial support that it
Eric> cost and that if I did fuck up, which I did, then it wouldn't be a
Eric> problem, but I didn't get Matilda's support in any context.

I think you made mistake 'trusting' we would help you out financially.
This is not the case with any other event so for Matilda to have done
that with Art 05 it would have had to have been explicitly agreed to
at a Monday meeting. No one has the authority say how Matilda money is
spent so the only way this possibly could have been allowed is if it
had been agreed by consensus beforehand.

This is not a reflection of an attitude towards you or Art 05. That
has nothing to do with it. It's simply the result of the way decisions
are reached at Matilda. Any and all other events would be the same.

Eric> All I got was a load of snide emails telling me "that as I did
Eric> fuckup I'm going to have to pay the cost for everything
Eric> irrespective what happened"

Well sorry it worked out like that Eric. I guess from over here it
felt like our money was being spent without any authorisation. Some
people have put quite a bit of work into raising the pitiful amout of
cash we have so feel somewhat precious about how it gets spent and
what on.

Eric> Because of this official 'support' Matilda gave me I have had to turn
Eric> away 5 artists who all had good projects they wanted to do 'about'
Eric> Matilda. I don't have the time, money or energy to carry on for a year
Eric> on my own doing projects that apparently are 'success's' but Matilda
Eric> refuses to support. And why the hell should I? Why should I invest so
Eric> much of myself it to projects that Matilda receives all the benefits
Eric> at my personal expense.

Well it's hard to say what constitute benefits and what don't. This is
because Matilda has no agreed aims or goals or purpose. It seems like
everyone has slightly different ideas on this.

For some people undoubtedly the art shows are a great end in
themselves. However other people like to see Matilda events as
fundraisers for things like protests and campaigns etc. An art show
that cost Matilda money to put on would take away funds raised for
other stuff.

Because of peoples different end goals it seems unlikely that
consensus will ever be reached on such things.

Eric> Another aim for the show was to create a load of energy and momentum
Eric> that Matilda could then use to take things further to create and offer
Eric> people artistic opportunities that they may not normally have access
Eric> to. I had the momentum kicked out of me when it was made very clear
Eric> that "Matilda' will not support this or any other art project again.

I think this applies to all projects - not just art.

Eric> It was also made clear at the Monday meetings that anyone else who
Eric> wanted to carry the positive energy forward where shouted out of the
Eric> meeting, there fore stopping all creative activity that would have
Eric> come form this 'success', dead!

Eric> The energy and momentum from Art 05 has now gone. And nothing further
Eric> will come of it.

Well that is undoubtedly a shame but, apart from the conflict caused,
it obviously still was successful in that people came and enjoyed it
and the space got used for something.

There are also plans for more art stuff to happen in Matilda so
hopefully both the successes and failures of Art 05 can be taken on
board with a view to future projects.

Eric> The biggest crime Matilda has committed is that the two main people
Eric> who help create this 'success' have now been made to feel that they
Eric> are no longer welcome at Matilda and there is no place for them there
Eric> anymore. Because they were at the receiving end of an unprovoked,
Eric> vicious physical attack and that the perpetrator is allowed to stay at
Eric> Matilda and walk around as if nothing had happened.

If you've read my previous email I've highlighted why I don't think
banning people or punishing them is a good idea. However people have
taken this seriously and expended a great deal of energy on it.

Eric> So to recap: Matilda takes the official stance that it will not
Eric> support arts events.

It won't subsidise any events.

Eric> When people make a mistake Matilda proceeds to
Eric> bully and make unreasonable demands on the people who made the
Eric> mistake.

I thought you were offered to have the missing drinks paid for.

Eric> Matilda didn't create this, only one person did, Joe! Matilda's crime,
Eric> which is worse, is that you all allowed this to happen. Matilda
Eric> allowed a jealous child to come in and affect decisions with mindless
Eric> non-senseical arguments that have no aim other than to hurt and
Eric> humiliate people. And it was blatantly obvious that he pursued this
Eric> course of action for no other reason than to act out a personal
Eric> vandeter against some one he had chosen not to like, and in this
Eric> process he hurt more innocent people.

I don't really understand why Joe has been singled out in this except
that he may have been the one who communicated the group feeling to
you.

I also don't believe he had a personal vendetter because from speaking
to him it seems like he hardly knew you. I think it was more a case of
him speaking up (perhaps loudly or forcefully) for what he believed
was right.

Eric> This isn't about 'alternative methods' its about respect. How can you
Eric> expect to build anything when the very foundation of respect for your
Eric> follow human does not exist? Joe's actions and the fact Matilda
Eric> allowed it to happen show a blatant lack of respect, for anyone trying
Eric> to do good.

I don't think trying to blame Joe or anyone else is helpful in
resolving the problem.

Eric> The only success I can see is Joe's, he wanted me out, for some reason
Eric> that I will never understand, and he won, I've gone and he's still
Eric> there.  I can have nothing more to do with Matilda for the simple fact
Eric> I cannot waste any more of my energy on a community that allows this
Eric> level of dis-respectful bullying.

You don't seem prepared to take any responsibility for this Eric. It's
very easy to talk about lack of respect but you don't seem to have
much for Joe or (from your comments above) for anyone else.

I'm not sure what you mean by bullying other than Joe forcefully
arguing for what he believed. Anyone else could have done this too.

Eric> You can deliberate and discuss and fail to come to conclusions all you
Eric> want, the simple fact is Joe has hurt people, destroyed creative
Eric> positive energy and has made people feel unwelcome for no reason.

Well its unfortunate you feel like this. I can't say I really fully
understand but then I'm not you and I haven't experienced what you
have.

If you want to use the space again and be comfortable in it you
obviously need to resolve stuff with Joe and anyone else you feel
uncomfortable with. That might be difficult if you're not living in
Sheffield anymore and obviously impossible if you hate his guts.

cheers

steve