[matilda] Lost Film Fest in Sheffield

dougald hine writetodougald at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 06:46:52 BST 2005

Hi,

Let's not prolong the argument.

I won't object to a press release which, as Gav suggested, simply
refers very briefly to the address at which the event is happening,
without anything about 'the new social centre...' etc.

The June meeting gave its approval to seeking publicity for the Lost
Film Festival, but not to seeking publicity about the future of the
building. This is because we agreed not to make firm decisions on the
future of the building until the 18th.

I work in newsrooms all the time. When a journalist gets a press
release, they don't necessarily report the story it's asking them to
report. They look to see if there's a more interesting story in the
details of the text. A 'new social centre in the heart of the Cultural
Industries Quarter' is a more interesting story to the Sheffield media
than the Lost Film Festival, so if we want publicity for the Lost Film
Festival, it's best not to refer to MATILDA at all, beyond giving the
address.

Fabian, sorry if I've seemed ungrateful for the work you've put in in
writing the press release.

If people are happy to go ahead with the amended press release as
suggested by Gav (simply referring to the address of the building),
I'm willing to help get it out to the local media - if that's useful.

D.

On 6/30/05, @mp <amparo2yo at telefonica.net> wrote:

> imho, both viewpoints may be compatible:
>
> I like very much the idea of openness, but on the whole i wouldn't go
> for publicity, journalists will come by themselves, or let them come
> without any more ado. I wouldn't bother with press releases but rather
> let it (the entire utopian project) grow little by little in a natural
> (wild) way. That will take time. Anybody is in
> a hurry?
>
> My interest is to contribute with skill- sharing (creative writing,
> literature and translation) and helping at workshops,
>
> The idea of the weekly or monthly meal proposed by doulgald might be the
> ideal event  to "open" matilda as a social centre, perhaps a welcoming
> meal for those who have travelled to g8 in Scotland... why not?
>
> As you see, i am not expanding on any ideas or views, i don't know if
> this is a list only for doing and pragmatic things, but to be sincere
> again, some young persons i would like to be able to stay at Matilda for
> a short stay say two weeks, therefore I am also interested in developing
> the workshop scheme, or rather the "living workshop" scheme as soon as
> possible.
>
> Just projecting the flow of inspiration from yesterday's meeting,
> dreaming...
>

> Exchange-tours could be arranged with other countries;  the matilda
> could be twinned to other projects already under way in Europe. (Berlin,
> Amsterdam...) Has anybody been to Christiania in Copenhagen recently??
>
> PS:
> Would second anything related to dreams and dreaming.
>

> Fabian Frenzel wrote:
>
> > Hi Doughald,
> >

> >> I'm not being paranoid.
> >

> > I was not saying you were paranoid, but you were suggesting we should
> >  not adress to the media, because 'sniffing journalists' might harm
> > our position towards Matilda and that is were I disagree. What I was
> > saying is: If they start sniffing (which they might or might not,
> > unconnected to the press release), thats good for us...we do not need
> >  to be afraid of that.
> >

> >> 1. We don't have the consensus of the group to start sending out
> >> publicity material announcing the opening of a 'new social centre
> >> in Sheffield's cultural industries quarter' - that goes against
> >> what was decided at the meeting on 19th June.
> >

> > it is not about annoucing the opening and by the way Matilda has
> > already been open for the G8. Also in the meeting on 19th June there
> > was a decision to have the event, which also makes it necessary to
> > publicise it...and also: Isn't the group process  based on the idea
> > to get Matilda going as a social centre (a wide open term, used for a
> >  variety of different spaces throughout Europe)? Therefore I
> > understand it implicit to the process that there is a consensus on
> > starting Matilda as a social centre. (and not a hospital, a cinema or
> >  a club)
> >
> > Anyway what could be more like seeking actively publicity then having
> [...]

Dougald Hine
46 Alderson Road, Sheffield S2 4UD
(+44)(0)7810 650213