[matilda] A few thoughts on publicity, and on dreaming

R&A robin_amparo at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jul 1 22:59:19 BST 2005

http://www.wombles.org.uk/scn/socialcentres.php

I wonder if Benjamin Major shares this notion of social centres,

>     The creation of liberated zones
>

>       What are social centres?
>
> Social centres organise to create new worlds, new possibilities, real
> leisure and social alternatives to wage labour and centralised power.
> Although more established in countries like Italy and Spain, the
> concept of social centres as a political strategy is taking off here
> in the UK with new centres in Manchester, Nottingham, Brighton, Leeds
> and London.
>
> Social centres can be either occupied [squatted], or financed through
> loans and other community funding organisations. They are usually
> funded day-to-day by donations given by the users, and they will often
> raise funds through benefit nights such as gigs or cafes.
>
> The popularity of social centres stems from a need for space, both
> political and social, outside the domination of capital. The
> construction of a new 'political space', an extra-institutional public
> sphere within which can emerge a common action, interest and identity
> amongst people, in all their differences. The creation of an
> autonomous and public political space is the fundamental condition for
> any revolutionary movement to recognise itself, in a strong project of
> transforming the city, territory, life.
>
> As more and more of our time becomes capitalised with the
> commodification of everyday life in the new "social factory" it
> becomes vital to create places where people aren’t judged by there
> ability to consume or to produce, where real human discussion and
> action can take place.
>
> As the idea of social centres spread we can begin posing serious
> alternatives to capitalism and wage-labour and start creating a new
> world in the shell of the old

> The 'living workshop' scheme. What is this? Are these something from
> the meeting? Are these workshops involving practical elements.

sorry for the mis-spelling: i meant "live-in workshops" , yes some
suggestion from another informal meeting.

Also, we could take into account the experiences of the "barrios" up in
Scotland : you 've many things to tell on your return.
bye