[matilda] Venezuela film night - good plan?

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Tue Jul 19 12:37:22 BST 2005

Hallo all,

So! In line with our outline Matilda rules, does anyone want to veto the
following? If not, does anyone want to help organise? (E.g. by telling
me how to make it work / where to get a PC projector from!) If we say
yes, we'd probably want a 14-18 day run-up to publicise properly / for
me to buy the DVDs... (Publicity is what I'm particularly bad at - help
please!)

Proposal: a Venezuelan Film night, including a discussion with the
director, Nina Lopez - if we can cover her train fare. (I'm sure we
can!) (They're premiering on 24th July in London.)

Theme: sex, race and class in revolutionary Venezuela

Films:
Talking of Power - 62 mins
 From the hills of Caracas to the banks of the Orinoco, the grassroots
tell us how they are changing our world. ("Talking of Power is a solid
and exciting documentary that offers a glimpse of new ways of re-making
the world and women's role at the heart of it." Rod Stoneman, director
of the prestigious Huston School of Film and Digital Media, National
University of Ireland)

The Bolivarian revolution: Enter the Oil Workers! - 34 min.
Four oil workers tell how they saved Venezuela's nationalised oil
company from a CIA coup, and how they’re organising to “put the oil
industry at the service of humanity”.

Produced by the Global Women’s Strike
Directed by Nina López
Spanish with English subtitles

“The people from the 'barrio' built the city twice: during the day we
built the houses of the well-off; at night and at weekends, with
solidarity, we built our own homes, our 'barrio'.” Andrés Antillano,
Urban Land Committee, La Vega

“Neoliberalism increases women’s workload. Who suffers most, who works
most when health services are privatised? Women, mothers… The highest
participation in the Missions: women . . . Social security for
housewives is a constitutional mandate.” President Hugo Chávez

“Our president is discriminated against because he is Black and because
he is the president of the poor. We never counted for anything, only for
work. Now things have changed for us the poor.” Epifania Mayora, Tarmas

“Bolivarian ideology: grassroots self-management…The majority in the
land committees are women”. Juanita Romero, Urban Land Committee

“ Power is about doing and achieving for the benefit of all, of the
collective. No one can speak for us, we must all speak for ourselves.”
Angélica Álvarez, Women’s Development Bank

“Women's organizations have greater clarity. With men there is the
problem of power . . . Our revolution depends on women, no question.”
Gastón Murat, Bolivarian Workers Power, Los Teques