[matilda] Notes from meeting on 25th July
chris at aktivix.org
Mon Jul 25 21:52:46 BST 2005
These notes are on the wiki, feel free to correct / add to
The meeting started at 8:20ish and there were around 25 people present.
Some notes taken during the meeting
A group agreement for the running of the meeting was suggested by the person facilitating the meeting and then people introduced themselves.
The following rules for meetings were agreed:
* Using hand signals was agreed (though it wasn't clear exactly which ones were agreed... or what they all mean...)
* Don't speak over each other
* No smoking except at outside meetings
* No racist, sexist, homophobic language to be used
* Meetings to start promptly
* Only come to meetings if you are not so intoxicated (by owt) as to be able to contribute usefully
Issues from the previous meeting
* Ground rules
* Guiding principals
* Legal and long term future group - had a meeting, have made contact with a friendly laywer and Councilor Jillian Creasy. One idea that was discussed was applying to get the building listed. The next meeting is at 6pm on Thursday.
* Cleaning, borrowing a steam cleaner and vaccum cleaner was agreed
* Cafe collective - social night on Thursday, info stall at Shefstock (http://www.shefstock.some.org.uk/) - help is needed for Shefstock
* Biodeisel, a list of things needed (http://lists.aktivix.org/pipermail/matilda/2005-July/000126.html) has been posted to the list. Concerns were raised about health and safety and insurance issues.
* Hacklab, should be up and running soon, the benches still to be built and computers will need moving in.
* Library, nobody was able to report progress
Events from the last week
* Consensus workshop from Seeds of Change (http://www.seedsforchange.org.uk/), was very positive.
* Saturday zine reading went well
* A free stall for free stuff was suggested
* Skip rading for useful stuff was suggested
* It was raised that the agreement at the last meeting for selling magazines at the zine reading only applied to that event.
* Hosting a skill share weekend was suggested
* A security working group for events was discussed and people will meet to discuss from 6 on Thursday
Some general rules for the space were agreed
* No non-consensual violence
* Events should be proposed email list (http://lists.aktivix.org/mailman/listinfo/matilda) / notice board and people should have the chance to veto via them
* No harrassment including including sexual and racial harrassment
* No thieving off each other or the building
There were other issues that need further discussion
* No for-profit activities
* Drink / drugs policy
* The space should be open to everyone who abides with the ground rules
* PGA Hallmarks (http://www.nadir.org/nadir/initiativ/agp/free/pga/hallm.htm) to be discussed at the next meeting
* No fascists / neo-nazis
Getting things done
Issues to discuss in smaller groups
* Cleaning group - volunteers needed
* Weekly social / food evening
* Visiting other social centres
* Help is needed with wood work (eg building work benches etc)
* Skills audit - who can help with what?
* Caretaker / security (keys etc) / room booking tasks need sharing out
* Darkroom, work is underway
* G8 legal support - info on notice board
* DIY festival this weekend
* Filthy radical radio show is due to to continue
* Beta web page (http://lists.aktivix.org/pipermail/matilda/2005-July/000128.html)
* Prisoner support
* Massage class on Wednesday 7:30pm
* Sandwich board for announcments / news on the street
7:30pm Monday, 1 August, main agenda item - politics and aims etc
Aktivix -- Free Software for a Free World
More information about the matilda