[matilda] Matilda logos...

gavin at cyber-rights.net gavin at cyber-rights.net
Wed Jun 29 00:37:52 BST 2005

I like the logos... nice acronym.

I'll warn you now, I'm about to go a bit theory. But bear with me,
okay?

I've had this wacky idea that 'Matilda' would be a friendly looking
mole, and maybe I'll just try and paint this on one of the internal
walls or something but...there's this image Marx uses of 'the old
mole,' which lots of anti-authoritarians in (what became) the
global justice movement pick up on. Negri explains it better than I
could in 'Empire':

"Marx tried to understand the continuity of the cycle of
proletarian struggles that were emerging in nineteenth-century
Europe in terms of a mole and its subterranean tunnels. Marx's mole
would surface in times of open class conflict and then retreat
underground again-not to hibernate passively but to burrow its
tunnels, moving along with the times, pushing forward with history
so that when the time was right (1830, 1848, 1870), it would spring
to the surface again. "Well grubbed old mole."

Lots of people pick up on this image of the mole. in the 1930s
George Bataille in writing some (very)proto-Situationist stuff uses
this image of the mole to draw his Surrealist-influenced picture of
an autonomous revolt from below (in his essay "The Old Mole and The
Prefix Sur in the words Surhomme and Surrealist"), and in the early
70s Sergio Bologna explains the new networks and movements of
resistance in the 1970s Italian Autonomia movement in terms of new
kind of organising without heirachy, in his article, "A Tribe of
Moles." In fact, approproiately enough for our Matilda, he's trying
to explain in that article the appearance of the phenomenon of
squatted social centres which started with Autonomy in Italy.

So, yeah, France 1968, Genoa, Seattle, Prague, J18...They're all
eruptions of the old mole. And I kind of think of the Sheffield G8
actions as an appearance of the old mole, too. Where a lot of
disparate threads have come together and worked really well, and
the Matilda is the fruit of that. So I think the mole thing is
really appropriate, and ties us nicely in to this historical image
of revolt and our way of organising. A sort of 'subterranean' anti-
authoritarian lineage, if you'll pardon the pun.

I was thinking at least a nice painted mural of a mole and a few
brief quotes from Marx, Bataille, Bologna etc to explain the image
might be a nice touch to the place, anyway. Maybe just on a wall
somewhere if people think having a mole in the logo is a bit too
weird.