[matilda] In reply to Gavins email and the Café collectives demands

Joe Morris malatesta_uk at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 1 18:03:18 GMT 2005

>>This is really upsetting I don't know how to reply I worked my arse
>>for you lot and all the thanks I get is "you owe us money!"

You don't owe Matilda money, you owe Mark £17.50. It's not that complicated
and it's not that big of a deal. He paid for stuff to put up YOUR show out
of his pocket, it is your responsability to pay for it. Not Matilda
collective.

That wasn't how you promoted the event during the initial meeting. The event
was YOUR event, just like a gig ma is NICK'S event or the Dissent gathering
maybe mine. We have all put in effort to create  events to promote Matilda
in our own way, you did one thing, others did another. You are no more
special, important or wonderful than anyone else. You are not exempt from
the process in which events are organised and if you owe some one money, you
should pay it, just like everyone else.

>>the event itself was a large one and I could not have
>>done it all by my self, I needed the people of Matilda to help me, and
>>they should as every one at Matilda benefits from the event. And lots
>>of people did, we all worked our arse off for you lot. There are some
>>beautiful people there who really made an effort, and there are others
>>who are just on the take.

No, you worked your arse of to promote YOUR art and other peoples to a bunch
of suits who I don't know and will never have anything to do with, so when
you are referring to "you lot" I'm assuming you don't mean people like me...

>>My job was to organise the event and make sure every thing went
>>smoothly

Which you left to the last minute and did badley.

>>A week and a half before the event I asked the Café collective if they
>>would take on full responsibility of the bar, they said yes,

No Eric, a week and a half ago we had a monday meeting and realised that no
one had a clue about what was happening. No one knew anything. People at the
meeting had to ring YOU to ask YOU what you wanted to which you gave vague,
uninterested responses to..."Yeah...we'll have some wine, and some beer" is
not you "asking" the cafe collective to take responsability for a bar.

We were told in that meeting that you wanted food, but it was the first time
we had ever heard about it yet it was apparently taken as self-evident that
we should cater for you.

>>As far as I'm concerned your scape goat-ing me, the café collective
>>fucked up, by saying they would do a job to help benefit and promote
>>Matilda and when it came to fulfilling their obligation, they washed
>>their hands of it and left me in the shit. And because your fuck up
>>has left Matilda out of pocket your bullying me in to covering the
>>costs that Ruth lost by dumping the beer in an unsafe place, and not
>>making sure the money was secured. If she didn't want any part of it
>>she shouldn't have said yes! But she did and I trusted her. But hey
>>that's the Matilda way the majority benefit at the individual's
>>expense.

I'm not gonna comment on the whole cafe collective fucking up/Ruth thing
because I wasn't there, so I will let others do that, but it's quite clear
to me and others that you had no idea what you were doing, you had waited
until the last minute to organise anything including the bar.

If you wanted the cafe collective to take responsability, you should have
communicated that better, you should have been at Monday's meetings, you
should have contacted people to tell them what you needed instead of waiting
for people to contact you. Maybe you can learn from all this next time you
want to create an event...especially one which you keep claiming was so
important.

Joe

PS. When can we have our chair and cup back?