[matilda] Eek

gavin at cyber-rights.net gavin at cyber-rights.net
Tue Nov 1 18:33:30 GMT 2005

The email was one I sent Eric off-list, as I took on the suggested
role of 'finding out what we lost on the bar' at Art05. I did it
off list speicifically so it wouldn't look like I was trying to
show Eric up or attack him. This wasn't my intention.

Eric, your reply was a bit over the top and pointlessly scarcastic,
though. We're all trying to be civil and respectful towards each
other after the whole c90 discussion. It's not a personal attack on
you. Play nice, okay?

However, I do understand how you feel, having organised the c90
night which didn't go exactly to plan in many respects, and we had
a discussion after that to see how we could fix/improve things. I
hope we've all learned from that discussion, which itself wasn't
ocnducted as well as it could have been, that we can improve the
way we organise the space without it being a matter of personal
attacks or recriminations.

As I said in my email to you - none of this is an attack on you
personally, Eric.

So, with that in mind...

It looks like there has been a bit of a misunderstanding about how
we do things at Matilda on the part of the Art05 organisers.

We're against heirachy here. It's part of how we organise
outselves. We do things by consensus, no one overrides anyone else
or tells anyone else what to do. Things happen because we all get
involved. This means that despite organising into collectives, we
don't have fixed roles and then say "Oh, that's not my job" if we
see something else that needs doing or is a problem. It means we
take collective responsibility, and work together.

So when Eric says

"My job was to organise the event and make sure every thing went
smoothly, part of that was to allocate jobs to people and
collectives."

He's kind of missing the essential point about how Matilda runs. No
one should have the 'job' of 'allocating' or 'delegating' jobs. I
think it's fairly uncotroversial to say that we don't really go in
for managers here.

Let me be clear. I'm not accusing Eric of being some closet
authoritarian or anything. He might be, or he might not. I don't
care. I AM saying:

a) that he's misunderstood things a bit. A bit like the c90 boys
did with the event they put on. Like c90's gig, art05 was a first
of its kind, so misunderstandings like this might be expected. I
think that's because we still don't have clear statements on who we
are and how we work for people. I understand these statements are
being made up by a designated collective at the moment. So, like
0794 says, we can learn from this in that respect.

b) The other thing is that collective responsibility is just that.
Eric wasn't the only person there for the opening night, so let's
not be blaming him specifically for not keeping an eye on the bar.
If someone wants to conduct a thorough investigation of who was or
wasn't watching the bar on the night, and so whose fault it is,
they're welcome to. But I'm not doing it.

So let me state again, for absolute clarity, that in taking on the
role of finding out what we lost, I'm not looking to apportion
blame, only to find out how much we're down so we can see what we
can do about it. If we're looking to recoup these losses, as it
seemed at the meeting on Monday, then I do think that the art05
event organisers are responsible for their own event in this
respect, and they can't pass the buck to cafe collective. They two
collectives might want to discuss this, perhaps off the list.

So, back to where I started. I'm still looking to find out how much
beer was put out, and who has the money that WAS taken for it. I'm
having a hard time actually ascertaining WHO got the beer and put
it up there, as I'm hoping they'd remember what they took, roughly.

Eric's fine suggestion of a stock take is, sadly, not an option.

- Gavin.
xxx