[matilda] Art show bollocks

mark cohen mark_a_cohen at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 2 10:05:33 GMT 2005

Hi All,

A very amusing stream of invective with respect to the Art05 thing, but it
was almost getting unnecessarily nasty and I'm glad the ire seems to have
abated a bit. As I seem to have been responsible for some of the kick off by
presenting receipts for refund I think I should point out that I didn't
demand I was simply asking if they would be covered, I did this because Eric
asked me to as he was away on Monday it is sad that a lot of the acrimony
seems to have arisen from confusion. What seems to be missing is a proper
procedure and a bit of clarity. This is a result of the way we are doing
things and we should realise this and cut each other a bit more slack. We
are as was said simply dozy.

I wasn't at the meetings where the art show (we should stop calling it Art05
just in case the curators of that show bump into this stream) was proposed
and so wasn't sure what the score was with regard to financing it. I
personally don't think that MATILDA should cover the art show costs, as the
bar was a little slack there may not be cash to cover expenditure so we may
have to bear the costs ourselves. As to the bar Mark C brought down some
beer and suggested a ‘donations’ sign be put up and then quite quickly
realised that a simple sign wasn't enough. I thought bar staff had been
sorted though I realise that this isn't the best fun job at a Thursday
social and I'm not sure how long that lasted, I buggered off for the food
and wouldn't be too surprised if the bar staff did too. That there was a
shortfall on the bar in these circumstances should not surprise any of us
the venality of alcohol consumers is well known, especially at art openings.

Like the C90 party this art show was a learning experience and in both cases
what we should learn is that clarity of responsibility is what is required.
If we all know what we are doing and what we are expected to do we are much
more likely to do it. Clarity like this is something that is simple to
arrive at in some organisations, not at MATILDA, but I guess we will learn.
The learning process might be easier if there is less acrimony.

Last Thursday was a good night out and a good social it is a shame that all
this bickering has resulted.

Mark