[matilda] Proposal for events

dan at aktivix.org dan at aktivix.org
Wed Nov 2 10:31:18 GMT 2005

Allo,

A suggestion... think it's been suggested before, but we could actually agree to
it.

An event sheet has already been created, which requires that each area of an
event has shifts covered.  We could say that this sheet needs to be filled in
with names and bought to a Monday meeting *before* an event can go ahead.

I know this goes against the spirit of the place somewhat - but not as much
against the spirit as watching people get hurt and angry, which is beginning to
seem like the only alternative.

It would also require that an event had one or more 'facilitator' - actually, I
think we should call the role 'chaser' or 'whip'. It could be more than one
person, but collectively that's their name.

It would entail checking with all the people on the Monday-approved list that
they were still available and committed to the event.  Which means, yes, that
person or persons *would* have ultimate responsibility if things fucked up.
They're no-one's boss, but they are accountable.

This *will* work to get more people involved - it always does.  If you're at a
meeting, and someone with four slots to fill is sitting there pleading, silence
reigns for a while, but eventually grudging volunteers do grunt 'OK'.

Same for e-lists.  We *never* get anything saying "help! We need three more
people for the bar for 12 to 2 or we're buggered! Augh!" We should be getting
these!

Its a failure I've seen happen before, and that I've been guilty of: there's
been lots of offers of help from enthusiastic people, and they haven't been
taken up.  This has led to a) the organisers feeling isolated and burned out
and b) people who have offered to help feeling like they're not valued.

And the way to fix it is really dull: it's just a bit of organisation.  That
sheet that got made is an excellent example of a wonderful, dull thing that
will work!

It's been proposed at Monday meetings at least twice, everyone's gone 'yeah',
and nothing's happened - which is why I propose that the sheet has to come
back, filled, to the Monday meeting before an event gets the Green Light.

Ha! So event traffic light system -

Red: fuck off, we don't want you.
Orange: go away and get your people-n-organisation chart filled in, and bring it
back to a Monday meeting when you're done.  Feel free to run around here
corralling people.
Green: Go! Yay!

We can have a chart on the wall and everything.  Woo hoo!

Right, rant over.

love

Dan