Mailtda's non-commercial use clause, was: Re: [matilda] crisisof consensus

dan at aktivix.org dan at aktivix.org
Tue Nov 8 16:33:28 GMT 2005

Allo

I was at a housing co-op in the Brick Lane area of London this summer.  They
were looking for ways to save themselves from the inevitable rent hike that's
going to hit them now the Olympics is in the way.

A few years ago, the landlord was going to sell it, and offered it to the co-op.
 They refused, on the basis that owning property was immoral.  Stupid f**kers.

So now they'll probably all have to leave. Yay.

Point? Profit and money may be evil, but everyone uses it, and we set up systems
to use it collectively.

I'd love it if MATILDA collectives could make a profit - that could then be put
in a fund to build towards buying our own, collectively owned and managed,
space, or spending on a sound system, or whatever.  Is that something anyone
would disagree with doing in principle?

That's different to a company making a profit and benefiting shareholders or
partners at the expense of those producing the capital.

What we could do is have a MATILDA system of breaking profits down:

50% to MATILDA fund
25% for producer (individual or collective), obviously after costs have been
covered.
25% into campaign pot - and when we have some, we decide a worthy cause to give
this to.

Also: I know at least one artist who's produced there who doesn't have a lot of
dosh coming in, and does have a lot of kids.  I can't see how anyone would mind
him making a bit of extra cash, if he could sell some stuff.  Buying a house in
Hathersage is unlikely to be the outcome.

Personally, I think artists should be able to get what they can - it's very,
very rarely a lucrative business.  If they want to donate something to MATILDA,
yay, otherwise, good on em for selling something...!

Dan
---