Mailtda's non-commercial use clause, was: Re: [matilda] crisisof consensus

mark cohen mark_a_cohen at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 9 09:07:05 GMT 2005

Hi All,

Sorry to bring the debate back to the art shop idea after all the high
political theory. The idea that some of the money would go to Matilda means
that the space in effect becomes a gallery selling work. The percentages
mentioned (70% to the artist) means that Matilda would be taking quite a bit
less than a commercial gallery which normally takes 50%. Result, the art
buying public gets the work for quite a bit less than otherwise. This allows
more people to be into the art market and enriches lives etc. So yes the
artist makes a profit but quite a bit of that goes on more materials and the
rest on barely keeping the artist fed. Having run a couple of art shows I
think that most time artists charge less for their work than their time
making it is worth and they do this simply to sell it so they can make more.
Artists who make a "profit" in the evil capitalist way wouldn't bother with
showing at Matilda even if we'd have them.  These shows take quite a bit of
organising especially in publicity terms when you are as far off the beaten
track as Matilda (seriously, for a commercial organisation getting the lazy
arse cash spending public more than 10' off the main drag is so hard as to
often be the death of it).

There was a point raised about the gig collective and their gigs being not
for profit, but as I remember some of the bands got paid though probably not
nearly enough to even cover expenses. If this were true of the artists
selling work in the proposed shop would there still be contention?

Profit is not in itself evil (I'm just waiting for the flack) it is silly
profit made by exploitation that is evil. I doubt that anyone selling
anything in the proposed Matilda art shop would be making silly profit and
doubt that they’d be exploiting any one either.

The art shop would be an interesting idea, but no illusions it would be very
hard work for some one and away from main shopping streets may not make much
money at all. It could bring a lot of people into the space or maybe not.
Perhaps Eric could tell us how many people have come specifically to see the
Urban Invasion art show outside of the first night as this is a crucial bit
of commercial information relating to the art shop.

regards etc,

Mark