[matilda] RE: Re[2]: Matilda's non-commercial use clause

dan at aktivix.org dan at aktivix.org
Wed Nov 9 14:04:32 GMT 2005

No, I think I got the argument: my point was, your argument has moral certainty
that, perhaps, someone taking state benefits shouldn't be trying to impose on
others.

One of the key parts seems to be: it's OK for the rest of the world, but not in
MATILDA.

Again, who else aside from you believes this?  You've always had a quite
ferocious vision of what you, personally, believe MATILDA should be.  Thing is
Joe, we all have our own visions of what it should be as well.  What I haven't
heard is any argument as to why yours is better than anyone else's.

I've seen you refer to the fact the the space came out of G8, and that it's
resisting neoliberalism. There are plenty of arguments to say that allowing
people to produce their own goods and sell them does exactly that, just as
workers taking control of factory and collectively selling their goods would
do.

You may disagree - but you're one person in MATILDA.

In some ways, this is one time I'm glad this is happening on-list, because
actually trying to talk to you about any of this is terrifying.  But you're
still shouting, even on-list.

We've agreed we work by consensus - you agree we did that, yes? - and that is
about the personal being political, as much as anything else.  It's as much
about how we relate to each other in the space - of which this list is an
extension.

I find it difficult to argue or discuss with someone who will say things like
'read my e-mails next time', as though the truth of your theoretical insight
should be self-apparent to us all.  I don't feel as though you're willing or
able to concede that other people might have different points of view.  Yes -
that does mean moving toward accepting that you're position might alter in the
light of discussion and argument.  But if you're not willing to do that, then
you're a fundamentalist.

It makes MATILDA just like any other political battle-space: the loudest, the
most forceful, the most tenacious, wins.

Maybe that's a true reflection of politics.  But if there's *one* thing I wanted
MATILDA to be, it wasn't free of all selling-of-paintings - it was a safe
space, where the kind of political arse I've had to put up with from, say, the
SWP in the Social Forum movement, wasn't present: a single-minded
will-to-power.

Maybe Steve *wants* to sell his labour.  I don't think he's suffering from any
kind of false consciousness - although perhaps you could enlighten us, maybe we
all are.  After all, we're all a bit naive really.

Oo, I feel a berserk coming on, I think I'll stop...

love

Dan
---