[matilda] a political explanatory draft

Amparo P Gutierrez amparo2yo at telefonica.net
Wed Nov 9 18:11:57 GMT 2005

Following another intensive workday, I thought I owe an explanation to
Matilda, the other Matilda.
I came here as a result of the g8-sheffield, where I contributed as a
translator. My background also includes having lived in Christiania
(Copenhagen) in the late '70s.
Back in 2005, as we were working on the Sydney works building, walking
around, cleaning… some pieces of its past were made clear; I learned
that it had been used (in the late '80s) by a group or several teams of
women: some were multilingual poets, some were singers and musicians. I
found a couple of books and thought that they (these activist Sheffield
women) deserved some kind of hommage. As the communal art room was being
decorated, this is its main theme: that's why you will now find some
women singing on its walls.

My political sympathies rest, on a personal level, with anarchism in a
wide sense. That's why you'll find some A symbols on the art space
collective. Again, this is a tribute to the past, in this case my
ancestors.

Following them, I would strongly disagree with any policies attempting
to curtail, control or ban art spaces so that they are mainly devoted to
very narrow-minded purposes such as banner-making: this is a very
ancient discussion: tons of arguments could easily be found with little
research.

I am very proud to be a part of Matilda and its art collective:
inspiration, imagination to power, those slogans from the May 98
revolution seem reincarnated somehow.

Love and painted hands,
Amp

PS: btw, how would you translate that famous slogan into English,
original in French, but this is Spanish: "Colguemos al último burgués
con las tripas del último burócrata"…

Which btw sounds brutal and anti-vegan... rather cannibalist...

but...